Short runs seem harder than long runs sometimes...

Linn D.
on 11/5/09 12:31 pm - Missoula, MT
I use Cliff Bars or Trio bars a lot (I'm all about easy).  I am also years post-op so I don't have much trouble with most foods, so I also will use either a whole or half PB&J or PB&honey on whole wheat.  Cheese or peanut butter and crackers or some yogurts can also be good.

I couldn't figure out why I never seemed to have a good workout late in the week or early after longer runs until I read about this.  I noticed a big difference in just a week or two when I started eating right after.

Linn
bandhope
on 11/5/09 11:03 pm - TX
Thanks Linn! I'll try one of those bars. My brand new refrigerator kicked the bucket last week and I ended up having to eat out a few times. I noticed I felt very sluggish after eating out for a few days. It does make a difference.  Thanks again!
Livewell
on 11/6/09 8:44 pm - Chatham, NJ
Hi Jenny,

Yes, the first 2 miles are always the hardest for me.  But, after that, it almost doesn't matter whether I go for 1 more mile or 5 for miles - my body gets into a stride and it is pretty easy from that point forward.

I have my first 10K race tomorrow and then I will be in training for a half in the Springtime.  My objective for tomorrow is to keep my pace steady and slow.  I have a tendency to run faster outside because I don't have the treadmill to control my strides and wind up getting more exhausted than I need to.

Good luck!!

kerniec
on 11/6/09 9:53 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
I am totally agreeing with you...........four or five just doesn't matter once I get done with 3.  Now 5K's are becoming anticlimactic.........training anyway.  On race day I push a lot harder for speed and run out of "air" (I have COPD from asthma from birth.........) but once the race is over for about twenty minutes I could run again.

Totally weird!  And I thought you were funny when you told me I wouldn't want to walk anymore and now, even though I KNOW walking intervals will increase my race day speed (based on my own experience and the evidence from experienced runners)............I can't make myself do it.  I can only walk on a treadmill.

I tried running on a treadmill and it hurt.  I don't know why, but I could not adapt for crap.  I am sure if I had run two miles and gotten past the pain it would have been ok but I couldn't make myself..........I just walked super fast for 75 minutes instead to get the calorie burn.  The advantage is that my butt was on fire from using it in a way that I wasn't using running and I got a great workout those three days I was on the business trip. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Livewell
on 11/7/09 5:46 am - Chatham, NJ
Kernie,

No need to run.  Try fast walking on an incline - it's a great workout and definitely works out different muscles from running.

kerniec
on 11/7/09 10:55 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
That's what I did and it was great!  Plus I could go 75 min on the treadmill and I haven't come close to that running outdoors...........tomorrow I am aiming for an hour outdoors in the a.m. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active