NYC Marathon!!!

saxman007
on 11/4/09 11:04 pm - Port Huron, MI
This has taken a little longer to write than I was hoping but I got back from 6 days off from schools and walked right into parent/teacher conferences!
 If any of you follow anything on Slowtwitch you'll know there's a pretty big debate out there about us BOP racers.  I don't make any apologies for my speed and I truly feel that I don't 'dilute' the spirit and mystique of the activities I participate in.  The New York Times even ran a couple articles related along this line!  With some of you posting pretty impressive times on here it just makes me really want to push myself that much harder for Disney to get to around 4:30/4:40.
All that said I am very happy and pleased with my NYC experience and race!  In 14 days I managed to run the Detroit Marathon, get H1N1, and run the NYC -- so in light of those factors my 5:54:03 time is something I'm actually proud of.  I do want to do this race again and when I do I will be 4:00 or sub 4:00.  
Here are my splits:
lace Gender
Place
Runner
No.
First Name Last Name Age Team State/
Country
Finish
Time
5 km 10 km 15 km 20 km 13.1 mi 25 km 30 km 35 km 40 km Minutes
per Mile
40893 27178 3855 55311 DANIEL GRIFFITH 34M   MI USA 05:54:03 00:35:49 01:14:48 01:52:12 02:31:16 02:40:09 03:14:22 03:57:36 04:45:05 05:33:31 13:31

I was thinking a 5:00 - 5:30 was possible and I started off fairly strong.  I think I could go out and run a 1/2 right now in 2:15 or less almost weekly, it's when I get to mile 15-16 that my training just has NOT been sufficient and it has been painfully obviously in these last two races.
For those of you who haven't run the NYC put it on your list -- it's one of the greatest experiences I can imagine.  This thing is absolutely HUGE!!!  I haven't heard just how many people completed but based on my time/place I'd say at least 41,000 completed this thing and there are NO 1/2 marathoners or relay teams in this one.  Every single participant is doing the full 26.2 miles!
The race starts in Stanton Island on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.  It then proceeds for about 11 miles through Brooklyn.  I've got a great picture crossing into Queens.  One of the roughest parts of the course  comes at mile 16 when you cross the second biggest bridge (hill) the Quensborro bridge taking you into Manhattan.  From there it's north on 1st avenue up to the Bronx for about a mile before returning to Manhattan for the finish in Central Park.
I was expecting costumes and was NOT disappointed.  For me just completing the marathon is enough of a challenge let alone wearing costumes (both big and small!)  I'll admit it was a little disheartening when the guy wearing the 5' Eiffel Tower passed by me but oh well he's a bigger man then me!  Other outfits that I saw included the Blues Brothers, a guy with an inflatable inner-tube with puppet attached, coat man -- very little on under the coat w/a waiter's tray complete with bottle/glass.  There's definitely a festive atmosphere at this race and it'll care you through many miles of suffering.  
Like I said, it wasn't the performance I was hoping for but considering my 2 weeks I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished.  I can't believe my luck on getting selected from the lottery on my first year/attempt for this race.  It's well worth it just to be part of one of the largest sporting events in the world.  With over 40,000 participants and an estimated 2 million spectators along the course it truly is an event!
--Dan
panhead58fl
on 11/4/09 11:16 pm - Barboursville, WV

WOW Dan,

I can't imagine doing 2 marathons in 2 weeks and then the flu on top of it. Outstanding job. It does sound like a once in a life time experience. Congratulations and now some well deserved R&R.

pan head

Katari
on 11/4/09 11:19 pm - OR
Wow! Sounds unbelievable. I've been patiently waiting for the race report on this one. LOL. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and I think you did a great job considering how you had such a hectic two weeks! I loved reading about it and maybe one of these days I'll be lucky enough to try and run it myself! Congrats on a great Marathon!

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Judi J.
on 11/4/09 11:19 pm - MN
congratulations! you should definitely pat yourself on the back doing 2 marathons in 2 weeks and the flu!

hope you can get nice, healthy and recovered now!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/4/09 11:56 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Dan... U R Da Man!!!!! Way to go buddy, great race, solid  finish and great report....Rest well bro
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 11/5/09 12:02 am
Awesome job Dan,

Congrats on your race.  It sounds like an increadible experience.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 11/5/09 12:34 am
Way to go Dan.  That is awesome that you did it.  Must have been a spectical.  I have my most experience at Disney where probable 2/3 of the people would be back of the packers at other major races.  Be proud, no matter where you finished.  Congrats on an awesome two weeks.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 11/5/09 3:34 am - TX
What a great experience for you, Dan.

Congratulations, Bro!!

Enjoy your rehab.

Darrell
levittown_loser
on 11/5/09 5:30 am - Levittown, PA
Great job Dan!  

Here are some pics I took while working mile 16 ... just after you crossed the Queensboro Bridge on first ave.

Gatorade anyone?

Women's elite

Mayor Bloomberg

Men' Elite

Some of the costumes ...

Central Park Close to the finish

I've entered for the lottery for 2010!   Crossing my fingers.

Congrats again.

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

saxman007
on 11/5/09 6:01 am - Port Huron, MI
 great pics!  Good luck in the lottery, I can't believe I got in the first year I tried!
Thanks for being out there, the best aid stations I've seen at any event!
Most Active