Has anyone done the Timberman? Any tips?

on 11/3/09 9:40 pm - National City, MI
Hi all. I am planning to do the Timberman 70.3 in Gilford N.H. next summer. I have heard that it is pretty rugged terrain and was wondering if anyone on this board has done this event. I'm a little apprehensive because I'm guessing that it's a pretty hilly course and hills are kind of my weakness. I would appreciate any descriptions and/or tips on how to tackle this course.
thanks,
Eric
saxman007
on 11/4/09 8:43 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Haven't done it, but I did Muskoka which Craig Alexander says is the toughest 70.3 course he's done!  Here's my suggestion -- go into Timerman with the realization it may be rough and you're probably not going to PB.  In addition I'd fine the biggest hill(s) around and try to ride them at least 2x a week.
After completing the bike portion of that course getting just getting to the finish line was a huge goal and I wear my Muskoka shirts with more pride than any other race shirt I have.
Not a whole lot of advice here but I say go for it, it's got a GREAT reputation as a great race on a tough course.  One I'd do if it were closer!
--Dan
on 11/5/09 4:33 am - National City, MI
Dan- Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.
I guess the one thing that I have going for me is that the bike is probably my stongest event so that's what I'm hanging my hat on.  I've heard that there are hills with 3%-9% grades and that kinda freaked me out. I regularly ride the two biggest hills in my area and they are only 2% and 3%.
I'm not "in it to win it" so I don't expect to set any land-speed records. I like to push myself to see just how much I can take. I did my first olympic tri last summer and felt like I could do more when I was done so now, I want to set my sights a little higher. I just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew!! That would really suck to put out the expense of going all the way out there and end up timing out!
saxman007
on 11/5/09 6:17 am - Port Huron, MI
 Hit the 2-3% hills on w/repeats as much as you can.  Maybe plan a weekend trip somewhere that has some longer/steeper hills.  Another thing you can do is make sure you're out there riding into hardest headwinds you can find.  
During the winter I'd say make sure you hit some 1 leg drills and you'll be able to make it through the course.  Sign up and go for it!  You can worry about it after you've committed yourself to it, lol
--Dan
Most Active