Music to run on treadmil by...

YoliDada
on 11/3/09 3:01 am

I've recently graduated from walking to running (Yay for me!) on my treadmill, but I'm getting seriously tired of the music I use to keep up the pace.

So I'd like to know what music all you runners / joggers/ walkers use to help keep up the pace.

Currently I'm listening to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYxT9GM0fQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihR7CK3TaeQ

Seht
on 11/3/09 5:11 am
It really depends on what you like.
I personally don't like the techno music, which is unfortunate because there is a never ending supply of techno running music.  It is set to a certain beat per minute just to help you maintain the pace you want to maintain.  For me that music just kind of fades into the background and I end up not hearing it, so it doesn't really help me.

Anything with a good discernable beat.
Personally I like harder rock and some rap as long as it's not too gangster.
I also will use some of the military running cadence as well as some of the inspirational music used by the sports channels when they do things like the Ironman events etc.

Currently on my mp3 player I have
Kidd Rock
Led Zepplin
Guns N Roses
Oingo Boingo
Metallica
B52's
Black Eyed Peas
Blue Oyster Cult
Rocky Sound Track
Some stuff from Chariots of fire
Nirvana
Offspring
Sammy Hagar
Ugly Kid Joe
A few military running Cadence
4-5 soundtracks from Ironman events that I pulled off youtube

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

YoliDada
on 11/4/09 1:04 am
I don't like Techno that much either, but it usually has the right tempo. Because I'm so new at this I really depend on a "beat" to keep up the pace and to distract me from feeling tired. Maybe when running becomes second nature I won't need the music so much.
I used to listen to B52's  too, "Roam" had a good beat and pace.
Thanks for sharing.

Katari
on 11/3/09 9:40 am - OR
I have a mixture. I have on my short list:

3 Doors Down
The Who
Sean Paul
Shakira
Rihanna
Nickelback
Nirvana
KT Tunstall
Jim Croce
Foreigner
Smash mouth
Green day
Jay-Z (with Rihanna)

On my longer list I have all of the above plus
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Richie Sambora
Godsmack
Blue Oyster Cult
ELO
Judas Priest

Basically All my favorite fast upbeat songs. I do like some techno, but love my favorites.
There are some good techno BPM music on Podrunner.com
Good luck finding that perfect music selection! I swear I spent a lot of time figuring out what worked best for me....for now. I'm always up for a good recommendation!

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

YoliDada
on 11/4/09 1:20 am
What songs from the Who and Nirvana do you use? I have Smash Mouth's "Walking on the sun" and "all star" for running.  And Green Day's "Boulevard of broken dreams" for walking.
The Presidents of the USA's "Lump" has a good fast paced beat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sj_U6vObUA
Unfortunately it's kinda short.
Thanks, I'll check out BPM music on Podrunner.com

Katari
on 11/4/09 1:48 am - OR
I have The Who's Join together in my warm up phase and Nirvana's Lake of fire for my cool down phase. I also have Boulevard of broken dreams and all star for my walking workout music (and longer run playlist) or a walk warm up before my run. I have two running playlists (for now, although I'm starting to put a couple more together based on my runs this week) that I put together starting with a little slower music and then up the temp with stuff like:

Temperature by Sean Paul
Get Busy by Sean Paul
Disturbia by Rihanna
If Today was your last day by Nickelback

I keep anything to slow for my total gym workouts. I also have problems when trying to move with a fast song and then get hit with a slower song. I do have some transitional songs that start the upbeat such as Hips don't lie by Shakira. I am just starting to explore the podrunner.com site a little more myself and may take some from there and play around with it a little. I put on a "trial" playlist to see how it works for me and then will play around with it to fine tune it a little more.

Katie 

YoliDada
on 11/5/09 4:55 am
Thanks!
I used podrunner for my run today. I went into his archives and started with a 130 bpm. It worked out great! I also downloaded some of Sean Paul's stuff. It's really good. It has a strong and clear beat that's easy to follow.

Katari
on 11/5/09 7:32 am - OR
I'm glad it worked out for you!
Katie 

Linn D.
on 11/3/09 1:02 pm - Missoula, MT
I have everything on my iPod from fast country to 70's, 80's and 90's rock.  I just find things that I like and try to remember to find them and put them on.  I have to make sure the beat is fast or my feet are going faster than the music (which isn't helpful).

Linn
YoliDada
on 11/4/09 1:23 am
On November 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM Pacific Time, Linn D. wrote:
I have everything on my iPod from fast country to 70's, 80's and 90's rock.  I just find things that I like and try to remember to find them and put them on.  I have to make sure the beat is fast or my feet are going faster than the music (which isn't helpful).

Linn
I find it almost painful to be running at a nice fast pace and then suddenly have a slower beat song start playing. I always have to arrange my music from slower paced to faster paced.

Yolanda

Most Active