oops I drugged myself

Seht
on 11/3/09 11:56 pm
So when I was getting ready for my Halloween 1/2 marathon, I picked up a bottle of tylenol from the medicine cabinet and threw it into my bag for the race.  My legs were so sore from my last race, that I thought I would take a couple before the race, and then another dose after the race.

So like I planned, I took my meds and everything was just fine.  When I got home from the race I realized I was a little more tired than I thought I would be.  Not physically tired, as in sore achy muscles, but the I want to lay down and go to sleep kind of tired.

Yesterday I was cleaning out my race bag, Watch check, extra gels check, Road ID check, Tylenol PM check, huh WTF I had grabbed the bottle of Tylenol PM instead of the regular Tylenol. 

I wonder if my race would have been any different without the pre-dose of the make me sleepy Tylenol.  I still had a 5 minute PR, I wonder if it would have been less or more without the Tylenol.

I guess I'll have to wait for my next race to find out.  I have to make sure this doesn't turn into a pre-race tradition.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Katari
on 11/4/09 1:51 am - OR
You did great considering you where "running under the influence'! LOL. I can't even take the pm it puts me out like a light so fast I wouldn't have made it past the start line! Hope you grab the right stuff next time!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Seht
on 11/4/09 2:00 am
Yeah me too.  I guess I just had enough adrenaline going to fight it off.

But what is scar is the drive home.  That could have been very dangerous.
Stupid mistake on my part.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Katari
on 11/4/09 2:19 am - OR
Yeah, driving that way would be scary! Glad you made it back okay.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

mcarthur01
on 11/4/09 2:15 am - Cumming, GA
that's crazy!  it knocks me on my ass when i take it....
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Waterwench
on 11/4/09 6:06 am - portland, OR
OMG! I would have been snoozing on my feet, Scott! Way to make it through!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

saxman007
on 11/4/09 8:46 pm - Port Huron, MI
 I love it Scott!!! Great story and great job fighting through the drowsiness of tylenol PM!
Linn D.
on 11/5/09 12:03 pm - Missoula, MT
This is exactly the issue we were talking about in class today!  We future pharmacists think it's awful that certain brand names have active ingredients other than the ones you would expect from the brand.  Big, big issue in pharmacy these days.

Tylenol PM actually has diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in Benadryl in it!  It's a histamine blocker that gets into the central nervous system and is a depressant.  

Of course you would've been faster!  My goodness, Scott! 

Linn
Most Active