US Half Race Report

Brian W.
on 11/3/09 2:19 am - Belmont, CA
This past Sunday I took on my final race of the 2009 season, the US Half Marathon in San Francisco.

I did this course last year and it was tough, but I enjoyed it so I came back.  This is the most challenging half I've done.  Its a fairly small run for major city, probably about 3000 runners.  Coming into this race, I was still rehabbing a hamstring injury, so I had not really pushed my pace except for a real good 10 mile run I had 2 weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting to set a personal best.

Race starts at 7 am at Aquatic Park, so I get there an hour early, survey the scene and go through my usual routine of stretches.  Weather was great, it was foggy, but not cold and very little wind.

Just after the start line, there is a steep hill climb, its short, but gets you prepared for what's ahead.  After that, you get a nice 1+ mile slight downhill that lets you warm up and recover your pace from the start.  The course winds its way down to the Marina for some great scenery and past Crissy Field.  After Mile 3 is where the first of 3 big hill climbs begin.  The second and third are very steep and very long as you ascend up to the Golden Gate Bridge.

By this time, the fog had burned back and the sun was starting to warm things up.  I get to the bridge about Mile 5.5 and what most people dont realize is that the bridge is actually on an incline as well.  Its not steep, but you will surely feel it.  There is really no better place to run than across the Golden Gate, truely breathtaking scenery with the morning sun just coming out.  I get to the other side and begin the descent down a steep dirt path that takes me underneath the bridge.  Of course that means a huge hill awaits me as I need to climb back up to go across the bridge.  All this hill climb took a lot outta me, so i walked up most of that and began to run across the bridge again.

I get back to the SF side and follow the path back down toward Fort Mason and back along the Marina.  I start to feel a bit of a twinge in the hamstring, so I stop to stretch and then get right back to it.  The last 2 miles cover the same ground as the first 2, except about a half-mile till the finish, you get diverted up the final hill of the race.  And when you have been exhausted by all the other hills, this one feels gigantic.   I make it up there and head down the final downhill and finish strong.

My time: 2:26:00.  Nearly a 10 minute improvement from my San Jose run, but about a minute slower than my time last year. Overall it was a good race and the medal was really cool.

Trying to decide if I want to do another full marathon in March/April next year, possibly Napa or Big Sur.

Brian
~350
Rob S.
on 11/3/09 4:44 am - DE
Great job on what sounds like an awesome run.  Gotta enjoy those hills.  Especially those bridges.  It's only November, so why cut yourself short.  You should be able to get another run in, especially out in CA where you don't have to worry about the weather, like us Eastern folk. 
Rob
Seht
on 11/3/09 5:15 am
Congrats on a great race.
It sounds like a nice run.
I hope that hamstring heals up nicely for you.

I'll probably be looking for a couple 1/2 marathons next year.  I'm thinking of adding the San Jose Rock N Roll in October as it is after my triathlon schedule.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Brian W.
on 11/4/09 9:47 am - Belmont, CA
You should def do SJ, its a great race.  I'll probably be doing it again
Duane1064
on 11/3/09 5:33 am - Bloomington, IN
 I really enjoyed reading your post.  My wife and I use to walk at Crissy Field all of the time.  I know very well the route that you ran.  We portions of that route several times.  In fact, we got engaged on the Golden Gate Bridge.  We really miss San Francisco.  Anyway, congratulations on your finish.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Brian W.
on 11/4/09 9:45 am - Belmont, CA
Yep its a great area.  The SF Marathon uses part of the course for the July run.  When its not windy/cold, its great haha.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/3/09 6:53 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great Job !!! Sounds like a tough course...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 11/3/09 8:20 am
Glad to hear you didn't re-injure your hamstring on those hills.  It sounds like a beautiful, but daunting course, especially coming off an injury.  Nice job!

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MacMadame
on 11/3/09 2:59 pm - Northern, CA
Your last race? What about our team for the CIM Relay? It was your idea, dude!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Brian W.
on 11/4/09 9:41 am - Belmont, CA
I did throw the idea out there, but couldn't get a 4th person.  They cap the relay entries at 850 and it filled up about mid-Sept I think.
Most Active