Race/Event Warm Up

Duane1064
on 11/2/09 7:41 pm - Bloomington, IN
Our first half marathon is Saturday morning.  We've never been to any event like this before.  I know that we will be in one of the later starting waves.  What I'd like to know is what do you guys do for a warm up?  I've noticed as I train my body really does not like running until I've walked at least five minutes...an even longer warm up is better.  Keep in mind that there is a cut off time.  They set a 15 minute per mile minimum for the first seven miles.  We have one hour forty five minutes to do the first seven miles.  I know we can easily make the cut off...we've made it several times in training.  So, what do you guys do the morning of a race?

Duane 

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Serenity08
on 11/2/09 8:04 pm - NH
 You'll see a variety of different ways to warm up at the marathon.  Some will just be resting.  Some will be running as a warm up and some like me - walk around.  I try to walk around for at least 10 minutes.

Good luck!
Serenity

Rob S.
on 11/2/09 8:45 pm - DE
My warm up usually consists of multiple trips to port-a-potty prior to the start.  Once the race starts I'm fine.  Depending on the size of the race, the lines can get pretty long.

One thing I would suggest is investing in some throw-away sweats.  If you get there early you might find it's really cold prior to the start.  Once you start, things usually heat up, and you can just toss your sweats.

Prior to the start, find a curb and stretch the legs out.

Rob
Duane1064
on 11/2/09 9:46 pm - Bloomington, IN
They're expecting around 5000 runner/walkers so I just imagine a huge mass of people shoved together with no room to move.  Normally crowds don't bother me but I'd like to have a little room to move and stretch.  Gotta' remember, this is Indiana....we actually had a riot at a Grateful Dead concert before the concert started from people pushing and shoving trying to get through the gates.
The timing for the cut off doesn't start until the last person passes the starting line.  I should have told them that I am a near world class runner so I'd be in one of the first waves to start.  Oh well, being in the last wave or so will keep us honest.

Porta Potties...too funny.  My wife is already asking if there will Porta Pots along the route. 

I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
panhead58fl
on 11/2/09 10:49 pm - Barboursville, WV
I have a set routine that I do at most every race. I walk for half a mile and then I will do some light jogging for another half mile. I like to end with some running at the tempo I intend to run in the race or a little faster. That way my body and mind ready for that pace from the start. I try to time this so I don't stand around at the start of the race and cool off. I will follow up with some light stretching while I am waiting for the start. It seems to me that it takes the first half a mile to get my breathing settled down and warming up this way seems to help that. I try to repeat what I do in practice. It sounds like you are prepared, I am sure you will do well. 

pan head 
Scott William
on 11/2/09 10:52 pm
I usually will just hang around and stretch a bit.  I will start running when I get caught in the wave of runners and there is no other choice.  Of course my second best half time was after I had to run about a mile to the start line so that I wouldn't miss the start.  It was no easy jog either. 

If you need to, I don't think there would be a problem with a really light jog.  It won't affect your time and may help get into the rhythm of the race.  Mostly though, you will be saying, "when the hell are they starting this thing". 

Best of luck to you!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 11/3/09 1:53 am - TX
My routine:
1.  Porta Potty
2.  Check In
3.  Stretch
4.  Jog a mile
5.  Porta Potty (Wonder why it takes so long for women in a porta potty)
6.  Elbow my way to where I want to be at the start
7.  Stretch some more
8.  Eat a gu with 2X caffiene
9.  Wish I had time to go to the Porta Potty one more time.

Seriously, have fun with your race.  Not stress too much about it.
Good people and good times.

Good luck!!

Darrell
panhead58fl
on 11/3/09 11:22 am - Barboursville, WV
MacMadame
on 11/3/09 2:51 pm - Northern, CA
I go for a light jog for 10-15 min. within an hour of the start time. This gets your production of ATP up there so that you don't spend the first 10 minutes of the race doing that.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Duane1064
on 11/3/09 7:40 pm - Bloomington, IN
Everyone thanks for the info,feedback, and support.  I really appreciate all of your advice.  Hey Panhead, I looked at the link.......very good!  Thanks.  I'll let you guys know how we do on Saturday.

Duane

Most Active