1st Half Marathon Complete!!

beckipoohbear
on 11/1/09 9:15 am - AZ
 So...it has taken me until today to write up my post.  I completed my first half marathon yesterday and I feel an extreme sense of accomplishment!!  I was slower than I wanted to be at 2:53 but what really matters is that I finished.  This was a small local 1/2 so there were only 38 people which was actually pretty nice.

The course started out with a few small hills which were fine, then it headed out for several miles on a dirt road which was pretty brutal, too many small rocks to try and dodge.  We got to a portion that was packed gravel which was MUCH nicer on the feet and joints.  Then another couple of miles on dirt road and finally black to glorious asphalt.  

The event started and ended at the local airport and they had the finish line out on the tarmac surrounded by classic planes so that was pretty neat!

Overall I felt pretty good, still having some major issues with the groin muscles tightening up around miles 4-6 and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that for future runs.  I am EXTREMELY sore today but functioning so that is good.  Planning to take it easy, either a short walk tomorrow or my water aerobics class.

Most importantly of all, I still want to do my next 1/2 in January and I am running a 10K next Sunday so yay!!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Scott William
on 11/1/09 9:40 am
Way to go Rebecca.  It's one you will always remember. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/1/09 9:44 am - Fort Worth, TX
WAY TO GO!!!! Wonderful job, recover well and stay injury free!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 11/1/09 9:59 am - Bloomington, IN
 Way to go Rebecca!!!!  I'm very happy for you.  Only 38 runners?  Wow, my first half marathon is expected to draw 5000 runners on Saturday.  I'm excited!

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 11/1/09 12:31 pm
Awesome job, congrats on finishing that first 1/2 marathon.  It feels good doesn't it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 11/1/09 6:21 pm
Congratulations Rebecca on finising your first half marathon!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Serenity08
on 11/1/09 9:11 pm - NH
 Congratulations!  I had my first half marathon yesterday as well and came in 6 minutes after you in mine.  I plan on giving running a rest for a couple weeks and then we'll see after that.

Serenity

bandhope
on 11/1/09 11:32 pm - TX
Congrats Rebecca!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm training for my first 1/2 on Dec. 13.
Congrats to you and thanks again!

Jenny
mcarthur01
on 11/1/09 11:58 pm - Cumming, GA
congrats!  can't wait until i'm writing my own report for my first half later this month... way to go!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Kim Meeks
on 11/2/09 2:05 am - lubbock, TX
congrats rebecca

i appreciate your encouragement

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

Most Active