I did it!!!!

Serenity08
on 11/1/09 4:27 am - NH
 I am officially a half marathoner!  

The rain stayed away and the sun was even out beating down on us as we ran.  I was thankful that it wasn't raining as I really haven't trained in the rain.  My longest training run was 10 miles 2 weeks ago on the treadmill.   And in this last week I had serious doubts wondering what they hell did I get myself into?

I ran with another friend for most of the way and we came in within a couple minutes of each other but for the most part were silent partners.   I found a shedable shell jacket for $8 at the health expo and that was perfect for waiting for the start of the race to begin.  I had wanted something that I wouldn't have to worry about if it got lost and this was perfect.  I ended up tying it around my waist after the first half mile and gave it to a friend at the 8 mile mark.  

This course is defined as hilly and challenging.  I am so glad that I had run the course several times over my training period so I was familiar with the hills and turns.  

The first mile is downhill and then flat.  After that the hills begin!  After 2 miles we have the first steep hill which I ran up halfway and walked the rest.  I was trying to run for 4 or 5 telephone poles and walk for a couple.  At 3 miles, the water stations began and were every 2 miles.  I took water at them and used my camelbak between when I needed water.  I didn't go thru that much water in my camelbak but was glad it was there!  I also started having some sports beans at this point and tried having them every couple miles.
Mile 3.5 had one of the steeper hills of the course -- the crowds were welcome there for the encouragement!
Mile 4 brought a gradual uphill mile and at mile 5 there was a welcome downhill of at least half a mile.  We then ran thru a local park on a trail and then back onto roads for uphill for the next 2.
miles.  Then there were ups and downs.

Mile 8 - I was glad to see and didn't want to see .  Mile 8 has a steep uphill for a good half mile it seems!  But it also meant I only had 5 miles left to go!

Mile 9 and 10 was mostly flat.  Mile 11 brought the last steep hill to get up and then it was downhill and flat from there!  

At mile 13 I started crying because I could see the finish line and was just so glad to see the finish line and accomplish the goal I had made for myself!  I finished at just under 3 hours I believe but haven't seen the official results yet.

I think I did a good job in staying hydrated and fueled.  I started off with a protein shake in the morning and had toast with peanut butter as well.  Then about 10 minutes before the start I had a Balance protein bar.  I had sports beans for during the race and didn't run into a wall.

I'm glad I did it and I'm glad it's over with!  LOL

Serenity

Waterwench
on 11/1/09 4:39 am - portland, OR
YES!!!  Good for you! That is just amazing. Celebrate your accomplishment, Serenity--there's nothing quite like pushing yourself to the physical limits and living to tell the tale!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Seht
on 11/1/09 4:49 am
Good job, congrats on finishing your race.

Have you signed up for another one yet??

Keep up the good work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/1/09 5:43 am - Fort Worth, TX
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your 1st half.... The other 13.1 miles is calling your name soon....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 11/1/09 9:13 am - Bloomington, IN
 Awesome job!  I bet you feel so good having completed that.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
beckipoohbear
on 11/1/09 9:18 am - AZ
 Congratulations!!  That is a major accomplishment!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

mcarthur01
on 11/1/09 10:25 am - Cumming, GA
awesome job, way to go!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Cassie W.
on 11/1/09 6:25 pm
Congratulations!  

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Hawgman
on 11/2/09 12:19 am - TX

Congrats!!  Enjoy your recovery time and start thinking about your next obstacle.

Way to go.  We are all very proud of you!

Darrell

Linn D.
on 11/2/09 12:53 pm - Missoula, MT
Nice Job!

Congratulations on completing this goal!

Linn
Most Active