I haven't posted a race report in a while.

Scott William
on 11/1/09 9:38 am
Today I ran a 5.5 mile race in Mystic, CT.  It is run in honor of former Olympian and Boston Marathon winner, Tarzan Brown.  It's called the Tarzan Brown Run.  The whole day was kind of odd so I think a report is in order.  I had some candy that my son got last night and that lead to some GI issues.  Normally, my GI issues are related to things that are not easy to ditect or not necessarily my fault.  This was an easy one.  If you eat candy, post op, there will be problems.  I decided to go anyway as I was meeting a friend from work.  

Mystic is about 8 miles from my house so we left a bit later than I would normally.  Half way there I looked down and realized that I was wearing my lawn mowing shoes.  I was doing some yard work this morning and forgot to change them.  These are not like the barely 500 mile shoes that just got demoted.  They were about my third pair from 3 years ago.  I have to say that I was nervous about wearing them.  

I meet my friend as the gun sounded.  If he trained as consistantly as I do, he would be a much faster runner but I don't think he runs nearly as often.  We set off with another girl that we work with and our pace for the first 4 miles was about 9:40 miles.  I was very happy with it.  Usually I go out faster and fade a bit.  At mile 4 he told me that out partner was running her first race.  I thought that was cool as we all remember that one.  

The course was the most beautiful that I have run with a sample of about 30 different courses.  It follows the Mystic River and had very few hills.  

At the 4.5 mile mark, I felt really good.  I kind of felt like I do after 3 or 4 hard mile repeats and I knew that I had another good one in me.  I told my friend that I was going to pick it up and asked if he was comming.  He told me to go ahead.  I did the last mile in 8:15 and wont know until the results are posted how many people I passed in that mile.  I would bet it was 50 or so.  It felt great.  My chip time was about 51:15 which I was really happy with.  Going in, with the GI issues and wild card shoes made me nervous.  The shoes were fine even with the grass stains and no tread and I apparantly had take care of any other issues.

I know that there are not many New Englanders on the board but I did talk afterward to a guy that drove 4.5 hours from Vermont.  I think that it is that kind of race.  It was beautiful, flat and fast.  That's comming from a runner, not a race director.  I really loved it.  It went so quickly.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/1/09 9:47 am - Fort Worth, TX
Way to go bro! Great to read one of your reports again... Looking forward to many more this running season. Take care and helluva finish there big daddy!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 11/1/09 9:55 am - Bloomington, IN
 Way to go Scott.  If your weather was like ours here in Indiana then you had a great day to run.  Too funny about the shoes.  My yard work shoes are Crocs so I don't think there would be any mistaking them for my running shoes.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Scott William
on 11/1/09 8:40 pm
That was one great thing.  The weather was perfect. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/09 11:00 am
Congrats on the race! I've been out of the CT racing scene for awhile (hoping to get back in it soon!), I'll have to remember this one for next year, it sounds nice.

With the odds stacked against you, you did a great job. That's so inspiring! Well done!
Seht
on 11/1/09 12:29 pm
Congrats on the nice day!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 11/1/09 11:57 pm - Cumming, GA
i love it when a race comes together like that... really makes all the hours training easier as well IMO...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Waterwench
on 11/2/09 12:32 am - portland, OR
Awesome, Scott! I would have loved to see that course...sounds like an ideal day!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Linn D.
on 11/2/09 1:08 pm - Missoula, MT
Sounds like it was a fun race for you!

You just never know what the day will bring, and it sure is nice to be pleasantly surprised!

Linn 
Most Active