Working out after WSL

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 6:42 am - CA
I seem to have hit a plateau, 4 months after WLS 
I  pretty atheletic/competitive  even before wls and I gain musle pretty quickly.  I think this is the reason the scale looks stuck. 
I asked my nutritionist how many calories should I be taking in vs how many calories out., she did not know and i am feeling STUCK.
Does anyone have advice or clarity on this subject?

Seht
on 10/28/09 6:46 am
It's going to happen.  It's not a big deal.
When I started running, mine stopped for what seemed like forever.
It will start moving again, just stick with your plan.
I find it very common that the dieticians don't know that answer or don't want to answer it.
I had a long running fued with my dietician, the one provided by my insurance company and endorsed by my Dr.  I finally went to another dietician and she worked with me to develop a plan that met both my food needs and provided me with the energy to be able to complete my workouts.

The other thing you can do is change up your exercise routine.  Switch from weights to cardio or something like that to get shake up the bodies comfort with what you are doing.

You will see lots of plateaus, but if you keep working out, your general health will improve, and your ability to exercise more and at a higher intensity will increase.  You will break those plateaus and the weight will drop again.

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/09 6:50 am - CA
Thank you Scott,
That information helps a lot.

bandhope
on 10/28/09 9:29 am - TX
Victoria,

Congrats for getting back in the game!

Everyone gets "stuck" from time to time. We often have a love hate relationship the scale. Here is what I do, if I start to get frustrated...
I turn my focus to a work out goal and take a break from "scale watching". It will eventually go your way, if you push through and keep working. Don't be too hard on yourself or compare yourself to anyone else. You deserve to be happy and to be treated nicely. I believe my attitude is what has made me successful. I know I can't let myself stay "down". I know I must keep moving.

It's sound like you have an advantage (having great muscle memory). Focus on the good and work it! You can do this!!! Best wishes to you!!!

Jenny
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/09 11:57 pm - CA
Jenny,
Thank you.  I will keep pushing through and know that it does not matter what the number is but i am working to my fullest potential.

Waterwench
on 10/29/09 2:58 am - portland, OR
That's right, Victoria--keep on keepin' on and you will see the results! I know a stall is frustrating, but eventually they break, if you keep with the program.

A general rule on intake is that you can find out the number of calories you need to survive by taking Desired weight X 12 for a sedentary lifestyle, Desired weight X 15 for a moderately active lifestyle, and Desired weight X 20-25 for a very active lifestyle. Folks tend to overestimate how active they are or how many calories they burn while exercising, so I recommend going online to see standard definitions of what constitutes "Sedentary, Moderate or Very Active" lifestyles.

Then, decide how many pounds a week you want to lose, multiply by 3500 (the amount of calories in a pound), then divide by 7. What you get is the number of calories to reduce on a daily basis to achieve the desired weight loss. For instance, if I weigh 140, am moderately active and my desired weight is 128, and I want to lose 2 pounds a week, 128 X 15=1920 - 500= 1,420.

I know that if I have extra body fat, it will be burned to compensate for the calories I am not ingesting. I will not starve because I have stored fuel in my body commonly known as my rear end! People with very low body fat % already do need to eat more calories to fuel their bodies during intense physical activity--they don't have much in storage!

Hope this helps. There are a lot of great fitness sites out there to help figure out how active to be and how to take charge of our diet and exercise to further our quest for health and fitness! Best of luck, Victoria!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/09 11:56 pm - CA
Thank  you for the post, I appreciate the info and will try to use it for good not evil.
:)
Most Active