Getting Started Couch to 5K

LinR
on 10/26/09 5:36 am
I am 57, had my RNY 7.5 months ago and am 3# from my personal goal of losing 77#.  Seems that I've been stuck on these last three # for a while, but am off all DM, HTN and cholesterol meds.   I do a walk/run routine on the treadmill 4 X week.  Am running 22 minutes @ 4.2 mph after walking 5 minutes @ 3.4.  Think I need to kick up my exercise a bit to get off those last 3 #.

Am interested in pushing my running further.  Advise on how to start the Couch to 5K.  Am I reading correctly that you can buy a program for your  Ipod? or should I start with a book on the subject?

Would really like to surprise my  26 year-old son next spring by entering into a 5K race he runs in town.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks
Lin

Katari
on 10/26/09 5:56 am - OR
I just got the c25k app on my ipod touch. Went out walking/running this weekend and it worked pretty nicely. I think it was like $2.99. I like the program so far. I've also been using the nike + system (they can be used at the same time as well.

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

LinR
on 10/26/09 6:15 am
Thanks Katie, I'll check it out.

Lin

Seht
on 10/26/09 9:38 am
Congrats and the c25k program is a great choice, but it sounds like you are almost to a point of being beyond it already.

Since you are already running for 22 minutes you are almost done with the c25k program if you do it for time.  The program can be done for either time or distance, he provides data for both.

I believe the program tops at 30 minutes.  Since 30 minutes at that speed won't get you to the 5k distance, I would look at how far you are going during your 22 minutes of running and start from there.

Since your workout is on a treadmill you can always add some incline to it.  Generally you need 1-2% incline on a treadmill to equal what it would be on the streat.  It is easier on the treadmill because the machine is helping you, you aren't having to overcome wind resistance or propel yourself forward, really you are just picking up your feet over and over.  I know I feel a big difference between the treadmill and the street.  That being said, when I run on the street, I am running faster than on the treadmill because I can take my full stride which the treadmill doesn't take into account.  You might find the same thing is true.
Here is a link to a treadmill chard for percieved effort and incline

The great thing about the c25k program is that it has gentle progression and it is geared to help you get to your goal.  Just remember it's not a race to the finish.  If you have a hard week, and can't complete a session, it's o.k. just do it over again, and progress when you can.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Serenity08
on 10/26/09 9:10 pm - NH
 The couch to 5k is a good program -- the good thing about it is you can tailor it to your needs.  I plan on using it a few more times.  This winter - in about a month after I recover from my half marathon - I plan on using it in the gym to work on my speed.   And when the weather gets warmer - I plan on redoing it outside because I find running continuously outside difficult - so I want to work on that and get more time running with less walk breaks like I do now.

Serenity

Heavenlydelight
on 10/26/09 10:47 pm - Houston, TX
you can get the program free at www.coolrunning.com

It is a really great program. I have completed it once and now have started it again to increase my speed. I also run inside on the treadmill but will take it outside once I am able to run the full 3 miles. I need the treadmill to help me stay at the speed I desire and not slow down.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

secretselfesteem
on 10/27/09 6:50 am - CO

Heavenly...

Great idea to use the treadmill to regulate your speed. I dont know why that never occured to me. I greatly dislike the treadmill, i find that i get dizzy and have to focus on one thing and not think about anything else while i'm on it. Recently I've thought of giving it a try again and regulating speed is a great idea! I am doing the c25k program and i'm stuck on the 5 minute run porition. I have issues with cramps and breathing.

I am also preop so i hope this changes in a few months for me after surgery.

runningagain
on 10/27/09 11:49 pm - NY

Congratulations on your running!!  Sounds like you are doing great. To push your running further, focus on increasing your speed and adding an incline if it doesn't bother your knees.  Shoot for 1/2 hour of running and 5 minutes of wallking as a cooldown.  Try to cover 2.5 miles total in that time (running & cooldown).    

I don't know much about the C to 5K program...never heard of it.  

Hope this helps.

Tammy :-)

Most Active