One of my worst nightmares

abgisme
on 10/20/09 7:28 am
I have wondered what would happen if I were to become injured and not be able to exercise.  Well, it looks like I am going to find out. 

Next month I am going to have a knee scope to repair a torn meniscus, shave the arthritis from my patela and remove plica.  The surgeon says no walking/running for 6-8 weeks.

Anyone else have this type of procedure?  How long did it take for you to get back up to speed - so to speak?

Ashley
Waterwench
on 10/20/09 10:54 am - portland, OR
Hi! I've never had the procedure, but it sounds like you'll have to get creative about exercise. Maybe adding swimming? Did the doc say anything about biking, or are you not allowed to put the knee to use at all after surgery? Gosh, I hope it goes well and that you heal quickly! And your running will probably be free of pain, at least, even if it does take you some time to get back into condition. Good luck!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

MacMadame
on 10/20/09 12:14 pm - Northern, CA
I was going to sugges****er exercises too.

I tore my calf muscle and, every time I run, it re-injures. So I'm not allowed to run for a while. But I can do other things, thank goodness. Plus my PCP said I might as well do my race this weekend since it's my last one of the season. That's good because I was going to do it no matter what.

But after Sunday, it's going to be a mess so we can be gimps together and pout about our bad luck.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

abgisme
on 10/20/09 10:08 pm
You are such a hoot, Marie. 
Yep, I am going to have to decide if we will do the Indianapolis Monumental 1/2 marathon Nov.7th or not.  I won't be able to run it, but I can walk it without problem.

We go to a tiny little gym that doesn't have a pool.  I am going to have to check out the local YMCA and larger gyms to see if I can join for just a couple months.

Take care!
ash
Seht
on 10/21/09 12:00 am
The Y has daily dropins available.  At least the one in my home town does.
Also what about rec&parks department for your city.  As well as having open swim for laps etc we also have a masters class where you can get instruction it helps to have some structure at least for a while so you aren't winging it so much.  They also do a water aerobics class.  All of these are for adults so you don't have to worry about competing with the kiddos for pool space.

Good luck with your search.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Katie H.
on 10/21/09 9:49 am - Charlton, MA
I had my knee surgery (removal of bone spurs, cleaned up some cartilidge & drilled holes in my femur in an attempt to regrow cartilidge) in April and was non-weight bearing for six weeks.  

When I started being "active" again I started on the bike and doing water exercise classes at the YMCA. 

It took me a couple of weeks to feel strong on that leg, but it took me almost two months before I was able to run on it without being a total nutcase about it.

On the plus side, it feels like a million bucks now!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

abgisme
on 10/21/09 10:01 am
Non-weight bearing for 6 weeks!  That is a long time.

Thanks for giving me an idea of what to expect.
Ash
Most Active