PT Eval for exercise problems?

scootermedic
on 10/20/09 3:02 am - Norwich, NY
I though I had heard of a functional pt eval for bariatric patients that are now experiencing problems with their body mechanics after loosing so much weight. 

I have had 3 seperate issues since loosing the weight post-RNY
  1--Ab workouts: cause me to have a feeling that my food is a rock in my stomach during the next meal or 2, even once causeing me to slime for 10 minutes (a known quanity of food at regular speed).

2--Running: in June I started running and have now completed 2 5K runs.  During both I have gotten a pain going the length of my leg from above the hip joint and in the center front to about halfway down my thigh.  During this weeks run I also had pain going from the back of my thigh through the knee and into my calf.    (by the way--I did go get a shoe fit and evaluation after the first run and am wearing appropriate shoes for my feet now, and I did give them a few workouts before this weeks run)

3--Lifting: I'm a paramedic and have had trouble since loosing all the weight (99 lbs) trying to lift my stretcher to full height.  I was always short, but I didn't have trouble getting up to full lift with the stretchers before my surgery.  Now I have to use a 2 lift method and remind my partner each time.  

So I'm thinking that I have some issues with my body and how it's working, but my PA doesn't know why I would want a functional PT eval.  He did suggest a trainer, but that isn't covered by insurance.  

I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten a functional PT eval and if they think it would be worth while?  Could some time with a personal trainer give me the same info?  I do have acess to a trainer through my gym membership, but I guess I didn't want to pay the "personal" part.  

Thanks for any help,

Scootermedic
A Success!!
RNY  3/24/09
Start Weight / Surg. / Last Dr. Appt. 
  248 (plus) / 234 / 133 (5/9/11)          
Seht
on 10/20/09 4:57 am
Not exactly, but I have had some similar issues.

I had been feeling that I still move like an obese person, but I have the body of someone who isn't.

My swin coach noticed this too and brought this up.  She said "you still move like your big"  She also teaches body awarness and pilates classes.  She recommended something like that to get me more comfortable with the way my body moved and functioned now that I had lost all the weight.  Her assesment just confirmed what I had been feeling and it was unsolicted or unprovoked, so I think that between what she had observed and what I had been feeling, it is probably an accurate assessment.

I know that when I worked on the ambulance I could outlift all of the guys who were in shape.  Well it wasn't so much of a strength issue as it was a mass issue.  I could just put my weight behind whatever I was moving.  The guerney for example.  I could just hook the head end on the catch in the back of the ambulance, then muscle/lean on it and get it in by myself.

Now that the weight is gone, and some muscle too, I can't lift nearly what I could before.  A lot of it had to do with balance.  Those heavier weight just pull you off balance now because you can't counter balance them as well.

Good luck and I hope you find something that helps.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 10/20/09 12:20 pm - Northern, CA
I know that PTs do things like evaluate your gait when you run. So people do have evals like that. The trainer at the gym is more of a crapshoot. Some are good and some are hardly trained at all.

OTOH, I bet some of your problems could be helped by doing strength training and pilates classes and you might be able to get those at the gym for a nominal cost or free. My gym has an Intro to Weight Training class, for example and it also has something called "Group Power" where you lift weights in a group to music and do other strength workouts.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

lesliejayne
on 10/21/09 4:06 am - Noxapater, MS
Hi!  This is the first time I have visited this board so hate to butt in!  I am a PT, and we do evaluate those types of issues, not just for bariatric patients but for anyone.  I'm not sure of your state's regulations, some states require a prescription for a MD before a PT can evaluate a person, some states have direct access where you can make an appt without a MD order.  But a therapist may definitely be able to help you with these issues!  Without looking at you personally, it is hard to diagnose your probs.  However on the #2 issue, that looks like it may be due to a tight iliotibial band, very common in runners.  Stretching can help that.  You can email me at [email protected] if I can be of any assistance at all.  Hope this helps!
Leslie

scootermedic
on 10/21/09 6:00 am - Norwich, NY
Thank you!!

My PA is saying he didn't think that a PT would be very good to help, but I am a special education teacher and I know many, I thought that they would be able to help out.  I'm just disappointed in my PA for not knowing. 

I'll hope to talk to him directly and see what I can get.  I do want an eval so that it can go through my insurance.

Kimberly
Scootermedic
A Success!!
RNY  3/24/09
Start Weight / Surg. / Last Dr. Appt. 
  248 (plus) / 234 / 133 (5/9/11)          
Most Active