Frustrated as all get out. need advice please

Darrell H.
on 10/17/09 3:23 am - Sinton, TX
I am getting so frustrated. Let me preface this by first saying that the frustration is not and could not lead me to quitting. Here is what is going on.

Last week I had an awesome week of training. The first week in a long time. I was so excited. Then this week came. It has been awful. Monday should have been a 40 minute recovery run and I only did 35. I know no big deal, and I felt the same. I know I could have gone 5 more minutes, but I was late for work. (ok sounds like an excuse to me. need to get my butt up earlier). Tuesday was a cross training workout and I swam. Had a great workout. I love getting in the water. Wednesday was a speed day. The plan called for 12x400meters at 2:00 pace per repeat with 2 minutes rest in between. I could only do 8. I had done 10 easily the week before. Thursday was a rest day and Friday was another decent swim day.

Here is where it all went to heck. Today I was scheduled for my first ever 13 miler. I was really pumped. Last weeks 11 miler was good till I stopped and I knew that I could have kept going. Today I barely got a 10K out of it. Went 6.28 miles when a sharp pain that had been building for about half a mile became severe. I called it a day. I wanted to work through the pain, but my 1/2 is less than a month a way. The pain starts right below the hip and travels down the leg to below the knee. Possible IT Band.

Does anyone have any advice for treatment on this. I will talk to our Athletic Trainer monday and see what she says. I need to keep improving my endurance. I know I can make it 13 miles and can finish my half next month, but what can I do to help my endurance while trying to take it easy so I can heal. Can I ride a bike instead of run for a while. I know my miles and time on the bike would have to be much more than the run. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks everyone. You gals and guys are awesome!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/17/09 5:01 am - Fort Worth, TX
Darrell, that sux! Sounds Def like a tight IT Band.... Do you stretch much? Do you use a foaam roller? Do you get ART? As far as resting the injury, try doing Aqua Running....I was forced to do that earlier this year when I was having IT Band issues. Take care and sorry to hear about your little speed bump...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Darrell H.
on 10/17/09 7:55 am - Sinton, TX
On October 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM Pacific Time, DANCBJAMMIN wrote:
Darrell, that sux! Sounds Def like a tight IT Band.... Do you stretch much? Do you use a foaam roller? Do you get ART? As far as resting the injury, try doing Aqua Running....I was forced to do that earlier this year when I was having IT Band issues. Take care and sorry to hear about your little speed bump...
Thanks Dan. I do stretch but I am sure not nearly as much or for as long as I should. I have heard about ART but have never had it. The most treatment I have had is a regular massage from a massage therapist. Can you tell me more about it. And I dont do a foam roller. How exactly should I do this and where can I get one. One last question. As for the aqua running, do I need anything special besides a pool. If not, how long should I do this. Sounds fun but tough with the resistance of the water.

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/18/09 12:14 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Darrell,

Here is a link that will help you with the foam roller excercises / stretches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZIl0QxOgKc

They sale these rollers at most  places like Walmart and Target.....

As for ART... Active Release Technique:

ART is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be resolved quickly and permanently with ART. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of overused muscles. ART is basically designed to release and break up the adhesions / scar tissue (Fascia) that builds up between layers of muscle that will eventually limit range of motion, change bio mechanics of activity, and ultimately lead to pain, discomfort, and probable injury. By applying accute pressure to the adhesion will having you do a specific range of motion, the tissue is released, restoring functionality and full range of motion. Message therapy will help with recovery and blood circulation, however, it will not break up the adhesions that are causing the pain and after some time goes on (Usually a few days) after your message therapy session, the symptoms will return because the real problem was not treated. Go get ART bro, it will totally help.

Aqua running is a great workout. It will help you improve your technique and promote a more fore to mid foot strike (mainly because you are barefoot), and will help with your range of motion. You don't / won't need anything special to do it. Just get in there and do laps for 30-45-60 , however many minutes you want and will be money. Best of luck buddy...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 10/17/09 6:13 am
Hi Darrell,

Last fall, I was sidelined with my IT band and had iontophoresis in physical therapy to help relieve the pain so I could move on to stretching and strengthening.  Here's a series of stretches:  www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_knee-ili_rex.htm.  The strengthening was a lot of core work, lunges, etc.

Because I had a marathon scheduled, I used the bike to maintain my endurance and walked on the treadmill after each session.  Once I could do that without pain, I'd spin and then add some running.  I'm with Dan on the foam roller.  I still use it.

Good luck,

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Darrell H.
on 10/17/09 7:58 am - Sinton, TX
On October 17, 2009 at 1:13 PM Pacific Time, Cassie W. wrote:
Hi Darrell,

Last fall, I was sidelined with my IT band and had iontophoresis in physical therapy to help relieve the pain so I could move on to stretching and strengthening.  Here's a series of stretches:  www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_knee-ili_rex.htm.  The strengthening was a lot of core work, lunges, etc.

Because I had a marathon scheduled, I used the bike to maintain my endurance and walked on the treadmill after each session.  Once I could do that without pain, I'd spin and then add some running.  I'm with Dan on the foam roller.  I still use it.

Good luck,

Cassie
Thanks for the link Cassie. Did the bike maintain the enurance you built on the run? I dont want to miss my long run next weekend, but I also dont want to prolong healing or worsen the injury.

Cassie W.
on 10/17/09 11:29 am
Darrell,
I tried to match the duration and intensity on the bike to my scheduled run workout.  I maintained the endurance pretty well, but my pace suffered because I couldn't do the run-specific speedwork.  I went into the Disney marathon with 10 miles being my longest run, the rest was all swimming and spinning.  It took me almost 5.5 hours, but I finished.

Cassie

Darrell H.
on 10/17/09 11:35 am - Sinton, TX
Thanks. Are you still doing Houston?

Cassie W.
on 10/17/09 11:46 am
Darrell,  it depends on how quickly my hamstring heals.     I cross-trained after injuring it during the Rochester Marathon in September, but wasn't able to run the Hudson-Mohawk this past Sunday.  I think I have to do more core and strengthening work for injury prevention.   Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on the road soon.

Cassie

mcarthur01
on 10/18/09 10:25 am - Cumming, GA
honestly.... this sounds a lot like my experiences over the past couple of months.  it appears to be classic over-training.  try to back off a little bit (intensity and not necessarily quantity), rest a bit more and you might see some good returns.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active