Triathlon media-Books, DVD's

Duane1064
on 10/17/09 2:10 am - Bloomington, IN
I wanted to know your suggestions for Triathlon books-dvd's etc.  They can be for inspiration, knowledge, or training.  Do you guys get or subscribe to any of the triathlon magazines?  I'm a knowledge/info junkie so I always want to read or watch as much as possible in order to do better.  I'm the kind of guy who actually reads the directions before I start a project, repair, job, or trip.
Thanks,
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Darrell H.
on 10/17/09 3:30 am - Sinton, TX
Duane,

I too love the knowledge and science of the sport that I can learn through books and DVDs. For my first tri, I bought and used the training plan in "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel. It was a great book. Not one if you are necessarily competing for time, but a great resource too help you COMPLETE your first tri. He discusses plans, gear, transitions, really the works in a basic introductory type book. I also have "The Triathletes Training Bible" also by Friel. This book is definately not introductory level and he really gets into the science of the sport. I have several others including "Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes", "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" and a Total Immersion Swimming DVD. I am looking for new stuff all the time. It drives my wife crazy all the books I have bought in the last 8 months or so.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
JeremyGentles
on 10/19/09 12:55 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Duane,
While this text is not specifically for Triathlons, this book is more about the science of program design. There is only a hand full of really good "Sport Scientists" in the nation and Gregg Haff is one of them. This book is not devoted to endurance training program design but there is a great bit of information about designing programs for endurance sports.

http://www.amazon.com/Periodization-Methodology-Tudor-Ph-D-B ompa/dp/073607483X

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Duane1064
on 10/19/09 1:57 am - Bloomington, IN
 Darrell and Jeremy thanks for the info.  I'll check them out.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
MacMadame
on 10/19/09 3:13 pm - Northern, CA
I like The Slow, Fat, Triathlete. It's very witty and it gives you a good idea of what triathlons are like, if you haven't done one yet. It's a combination of tips and memoir.

I didn't like Transformed by Triathlon. It's another memoir-style book and I found the author too anxious about everything and it gave me new ideas for things to worry about that I hadn't even thought of before.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active