How to start running

Alli14ppfk
on 10/16/09 10:02 am - Buffalo, NY
I know this may sound dumb but how did everyone start running. I know everyone here started in the same place I did and you guys are all doing great now. I do cardio at the gym 4 days a week but I would love to start running. I feel like I'm still 300 lbs and out of breath after only a minute lol. I also have a problem with my skin/fat flopping all over the place lol. It's not a pretty sight. Any tips guys?
Open RNY Gastric Bypass February 16, 2009
Fleur di lis abdominoplasty June 5, 2010
Mastoplexy Scheduled for February 28, 2011

SW 296/Surgeon's Goal 196/My Goal 175    

beckipoohbear
on 10/16/09 1:07 pm - AZ
 I know a lot of people on here have done the couch to 5K program with great success.  I had a 16 week walk/run program that I used.  For example you started out running for 1 minute, walking 5 minutes, repeat 5 times or whatever and it eventually progressed to running 50 minutes without stopping and now I am two weeks away from my first half marathon.  After the first couple of weeks I was seriously addicted to running and every time I thought I had an impossible workout coming up, it just felt right and good.

As to the skin issues, after a few weeks I knew I needed real running gear.  My best piece that I have is a pair of running tights, capri length (mine are made by Reebok), I love them, they are comfortable, I have no chafing when I wear them and it seriously helps the jiggle factor.  On days when I am not feeling super comfortable with my body I wear a pair of running shorts over them (or just because I think it's a strangely cute look ;)).

Good luck, you can do it!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Waterwench
on 10/16/09 2:07 pm - portland, OR
Hey, Alli! Welcome to the board! Running is a terrific way to improve health and stamina.

Rebecca is right on--many have used the "Couch to 5K" plan that's free online with great success. I used a similar plan from Cool Running.com that is designed to help a non-runner learn to run gradually, with minimal discomfort, over an 8 week period until they can run 2 miles without stopping.

Like Rebecca's plan, mine started slow: walk 5 minutes, run for 30 seconds, walk, run, walk, run...You do it for 30 minutes a day, and it maps out when to increase the running time to 1 minutes, 2 minutes, etc. I admit I did use a little Motrin to get me over the rough patches, but 4 months later, I run about 18 miles a week and I am on a mileage build-up plan to prepare for my first marathon next year. :)

I am amazed that this is actually me doing it. Runner's World.com has some terrific stretches that I do each time I run to ward off injury, and I have really fallen in love with this activity!

I have a lot of loose skin, too. I usually wear medium-sized Champion yoga-type pants, which give me some support in the belly, hips and thighs. For August, though, I bought a couple pair of jogging shorts (the dolphin kind that have the built-in undies and Ipod pocket) and just said, "Screw it! I don't care who sees me jiggle!" during the hottest part of summer. I didn't get a single catcall or insult shouted at me, which I consider to be a sign of improvement in the world! :) I think our own fears about what people will think or say about us sometimes hobble us dreadfully in life.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Scott William
on 10/16/09 10:16 pm
The couch to 5K is great.  I found that the absolute best way to start running and train is to go ahead and sign up for a race that is about 3 months away.  That will get you to train.

coolrunning.com is a good site to start with to find a race.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Duane1064
on 10/16/09 11:51 pm - Bloomington, IN
Alli, welcome to the board.  Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about.  I too used the c25k program and it's worked great.  My wife and I are going to do our first half marathon on Nov. 7th.  Getting started is the hardest part but keep at it and you'll soon see big improvements.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
monie
on 10/20/09 8:11 am - Windsor, Canada

Is the Couch to 5k posted on this website or through a different website? Would like to read about it, maybe try it.

~Simone~

Katie H.
on 10/20/09 9:45 am - Charlton, MA
I found it on coolrunnings.com or the runners world website

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

MacMadame
on 10/20/09 12:15 pm - Northern, CA
I went to c25k.com and they had a link to the Cool Runnings site and also to a bunch of Couch-to-5k podcasts.

For the flappy stuff, I wear compression gear under my workout close. I get some compression shorts from UnderArmour for about $25 and I have some compression tank tops, also from them, for not much more. It helps keep the flappy stuff from flapping.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active