Marathon this weekend!

saxman007
on 10/15/09 10:01 pm - Port Huron, MI
First of my 3 marathons this upcoming season is this weekend.  The wild thing is I still HAVEN'T figured out my goal time!!!!
Looking for some advice:
Detroit is Sunday with NYC in 2 weeks.  My run training is progressing nicely but it's taken a little bit longer to go from triathlon training to straight running.  I'm sure I'm going to PB (second ever marathon, lol)
My runs lately have been around 9:20 for up to a 10k.  Beyond that I've been significantly slower but have had some nutrition/hydration issues contributing to it.  After Wednesday's 10k that I did I really felt like I could've gone on forever at that pace.
At the Detroit marathon they'll have pacing for 4:30/4:45/5:00.  I was thinking I'd be somewhere between 4:40-4:45 but think that it may be possible to do 4:30 (10:18/mile) though it'd push me.

My original thinking was to go for a 4:40 (10:41) and if I'm feeling good around mile 20 to go ahead and open things up.  I know at Muskoka around mile 10 I was still able to get out a 9:30 mile but the hills stopped me from maintaining that.  If I've got juice in the tank after that long of day I'm sure I can find it after 4:00 hours.

Overall I'm prepared and I hate not knowing what my goal is going to be, lol.  If it wasn't for NYC I'd be going for 4:30 and not thinking twice though I really think I'll be able to recover without a problem.  Have a goal set for Disney in January -- not gonna share that one yet :)
Give me some thoughts 
--Dan

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/15/09 11:14 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I think it all boils down to how you feel that day. Here is what I did at my last marathon and then I will give you my opinion:

As for my pace, my splits are below:

Dan Benintendi #131

Saginaw, TX, USA

Distance MAR
Clock Time 4:23:49
Chip Time 4:23:01
Overall Place 447 / 920
Gender Place 350 / 622
Division Place 10 / 61
Total Pace 10:02/M
1St Half Rank 433
1St Half Time 2:01:27
1St Half Pace 9:16/M
2Nd Half Rank 484
2Nd Half Time 2:21:32
2Nd Half Pace 10:48/M

So, I think of all the things I have learned in the past year, negative splits are a good indication of your fitness. The 1st half of the marathon I averaged 9:16's.... I also stopped to pee 5 times or so in the first 13.1 because it was 30 degrees and I was super hydrated and was not sweating much, so realistically, I was probably running sub 9's... (Way too fast to start out with for me)... The second half I averaged 10:48 with some walking between miles 21-23. I am hoping in my marathon in December that I can average 9:30's in the 1st half, then average 9's the 2nd half... I want to break 4 hours for sure!!! I would say that with 3 marathons, set a reasonable, doable goal that will not push you to the point of injury. Shoot for 10's for the 1st half then try to pick it up a little on the last 10-13 miles. Best of luck buddy, can't wait to read about it....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 10/16/09 12:36 am
Kick A$$ and take names this weekend Dan,
You are going to do great.
I have never run, walked or crawled a marathon, so no advice from me, but I'm looking forward to hearing how it went for you!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

levittown_loser
on 10/16/09 7:47 am - Levittown, PA
Dan I think your plan sounds great.  With NY just 2 weeks away ... no need to get a potential injury and kill your NY plans.  (speaking of NY ... I'll be there volunteering just after the Queensboro Bridge once in Manhatten.  I'll keep an eye out for ya!)

My first full is in November and as silly as it sounds, I just wanna beat Oprah's 4:29:20 !!!   

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

levittown_loser
on 10/17/09 6:57 am - Levittown, PA
Hey Dan have you checked out the NY Marathon Course Video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0TOyzmN9k

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Jennifer38
on 10/18/09 2:50 am
I hope you are ok, just got an email that 3 men have died at the marathon, 2 at the finish line.
Most Active