Baltimore Half Race Results

levittown_loser
on 10/14/09 3:40 am, edited 10/14/09 3:42 am - Levittown, PA
Last weekend I ran my 3rd Half Marathon in prep for my Full Marathon in November.  These Half races have taught me something new each time and bring new experiences I should have before my larger goal of the Full. 

I arrived in Baltimore Friday afternoon and hit the expo before my hotel.   Why do race organizers feel the need to run you in a zig zag back and forth the whole damn expo to get your needed race bib and shirt?   I always feel the need to get all my stuff first and THEN I do shop and visit the vendors.  I hate they make you do that dance.   Anyway on to to nice dinner at the Inner Harbor with friends from my running club and then to the hotel for rest and race prep.

The Full Marathon started at 8AM and the Half at 9:45 so I slept in a bit and walked toward the race start hitting a street that the Full runners would be coming down.  I was able to catch the wheelchair racers and the Elite runners on the way to my start of the Half.  

The city/crowds are great for this race.  Many people along the course to cheers you on.

My race started and I was the sky was a bit overcast and windy.   Rain drops and wind started a bit harder around mile 3 but SO DID THE HILLS!    Holy moly I had really only ran flat courses till now.   It seemed like every turn was another hill.  I didn't plan on a PR seeing these conditions.  

Baltimore has a guy that has been passing out Gummy Bears around mile 23.5 / 10.5 and from there it's pretty much down hill.   When I hit that point I was happy to enjoy a hand full of those bears and laugh for the last few miles seeing the streets covered in the colorful things! 

I ended up finishing at 1:57:44 ... 9:00 pace.    My prior PR in Philly was 1:57:30 so I was only off a little bit which makes me happy considering the challenges.   1900 / 7813 Overall so withing the top 25%!

Next up ... 26.2 in Philly November 22nd!

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Seht
on 10/14/09 5:52 am
Awesome job, congrats!

Good luck and best wishes on that upcoming full marathon.

Now you have me craving gummy bears......  Damn you!!!!!

Keep up the great work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

levittown_loser
on 10/14/09 6:45 am - Levittown, PA
Thanks Scott.   I did a 20 mile training run 2 weeks ago and I FINALLY got the feeling that "hey I think I can really do the full 26.2!!"     Kinda amazing given Novemeber will be my 1 year anniversary of starting to run!  It was after Thanksgiving last year that I started with the Couch to 5K program.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Linn D.
on 10/14/09 10:35 am - Missoula, MT
Congrats, Tom!  

Great race!  Fabulous time with hills.  You'll do just fine with your full.  You've come so far and done really well.  Love hearing about your races!

Linn 
levittown_loser
on 10/14/09 11:25 am - Levittown, PA
Thanks Linn!   This board really reinforced that I could do distance running post op.  I remember the first time one of my friends who was doing C25K with me said she one day wanted to run a half marathon.  I thought she was CRAZY!    Reading here about everyones success really gave me the confidence to listen to the running bug I got when I did that first 5K. 

Thanks go to you for sharing your experiences with us all.

Tom

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/14/09 11:31 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great Job Big Daddy!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 10/14/09 3:04 pm - Northern, CA
Great job!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Duane1064
on 10/14/09 8:34 pm - Bloomington, IN

Way to go!!!!  Good luck on the full marathon.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Cassie W.
on 10/17/09 6:40 am
Congratulations!  Awesome time!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active