Losing motivation

Serenity08
on 10/14/09 8:46 pm - NH
 I'm losing motivation to run - I just feel like I want a change and I'm over this training thing.  Is this normal?  I'm three weeks away from the half marathon and I just want it to be over with - now!  I really had to drag myself onto the treadmill yesterday and work on some speed drills.

I have upped the crosstraining by adding in bike rides and weight training.  

Any suggestions for getting my motivation back?  I need to do another 10 plus mile run this weekend and then I can taper a bit.

Serenity

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/14/09 10:37 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 10/15/09 12:52 am
What's your goal?  Why are you doing it?
Health
Feeling of accomplishment
Some other reason?

Set a shorter term goal.
Reward yourself when you get there.
Get a hook, something that will keep you motivated.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Serenity08
on 10/15/09 7:52 am - NH
 I want to do it because a year ago - there is no way I could have done this.  A year ago (in about 3 weeks) I volunteered, a week after my surgery, at a water stop at the marathon.  This year, I want to participate in it to show how far I've come.  I often go to the preop support meetings and say how cool is this going to be - last year I was on the side lines, this year I'm doing it.  I'm doing it so I can be an inspiration to others.

Health of course - to be able to say you ran in a half marathon - a sense of accomplishment.

It's hard to set a short term goal when this one is just 3 weeks away.  

Thanks for the words of wisdom!
Serenity

Seht
on 10/15/09 8:20 am
Get out there and move your Butt.  You can do it!!!!!!!!!!
I know I have lost and gained motivation as I train.  It happens.  It loses it's excitement.  I get tired of getting up at 4:30 in the morning so I can go to the gym.  Or heading out to the gym after I put my son to bed.  It would be so much easier to just sit on the couch and watch t.v.

But then you wouldn't get those great feelings of accomplishment.
It's only 3 weeks away.  That is forever and just right around the corner at the same time.

I found that I got more and more excited and nervous as it approached.  I was tired of working out and training and I wanted it to be here already.  But I also didn't want to fail.  Maybe you need an extra rest day.  Take a day just for you.  Go buy yourself something for race day.  Or take a day at the movies or something.  Just relax and then hit it again the next day.

Good luck I'm sure you can do it. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Waterwench
on 10/15/09 2:37 am - portland, OR
Hi, Serenity! I know how you feel about losing steam...It happens to everyone, occasionally.

If I were you, I would try to pinpoint what it is about the running that makes you dread it, or not take joy in it the way you used to. Is it the time away from home? Is it the cold, wet weather, or the same route over and over again? Is it your tunes??

Maybe you need to switch up your playlist, map a new route on MapMyRun online, or take the focus away from speed and put it on the basics of why we like to run: to smell the autumn air with just a tinge of smoke, to feel it on our face, to see the leaves changing as we run our route or watch folks raking leaves in their front yards, setting up their yearly scarecrow and pumpkin decorations...to take joy in the way our body can move and show its strength and agility, its grace and beauty... All these things make running as much a spiritual as a physical activity. 

I think that getting back in touch with the simplicity of why we move our bodies might help bring back the motivation you've lost, Serenity. Good luck and keep us posted!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

wjoegreen
on 10/15/09 2:59 am, edited 10/15/09 2:59 am - Colonial Heights, VA
That was a terrific response,.....
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Serenity08
on 10/15/09 8:03 am - NH
 I think part may be having to do the long long runs right now - I do those outside and running outside is not easy for me.  It's hard and I'm definitely working.  It does take a long time on the long run days 2 1/2 hours plus.  Plus cold weather doesn't help.  

I was training along the actual marathon route but this last time I did a route around my home.  I really hoping that on race day we have nice weather as I have not run outside in wet rainy weather yet.  

Tunes - I generally will run to motiontraxx which has a steady bpm to help me keep on pace.  Maybe I'll go back to some regular tunes this week.

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Serenity

Jamie W.
on 10/16/09 6:23 am - Manchester, NH
Hey you, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT because I've been there exercising with you. I don't know how you do it but you are my inspiration. I've seen your before pictures and I look at you today and cant believe it's the same person. Once you get this out of the way, you will have such a sense of acomplishment. You're doing great, it's almost here. YOU GO GIRL

Highest weight: 249
Date of Surgery Weight 7/20/2009 : 229
Jamie M.                
Most Active