running question about alt

shane614
on 10/11/09 12:40 pm - elgin, IL
I am in the middle of training for a half marathon in las vegas on Dec 6th, and here is the question:

I live and run in Chicago, which is about sea level.  How will I run in vegas when it is 4500 feet above sea level?

I can I train for this?

JeremyGentles
on 10/11/09 1:33 pm - Johnson City, TN
At 4500 ft you may experience some noticeable decriments in performance but it should not be too bad.

As far as training for it....

Unless you have access to a hypobaric chamber it is going to be impossible to prepare for significant increases in altitude while living in Chicago. In order to prepare for altitude you either need to live at altitude or simulate high altitude oxygen concentrations with a hypobaric chamber.

Don't sweat it too much though, you should do just fine.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/12/09 3:06 am - Fort Worth, TX
You do not need a hypobaric chamber to train for altitude.... You simply need to learn how to breath more effectiveand and efficiently. Here is a product that I use and many others who live at sea live use to help increase lung capacity. You will not experience much difference in Vegas. Just trust your training and do your thang!

The #1 Choice of Competitive Athletes Worldwide

"Endurance Booster Through Better Breathing Training"

The L.A.Times #1 Ranked Breathing Fitness Trainer

INCREASE YOUR LUNG CAPACITY AND ENDURANCE

Breathing Resistance Exercise →Stronger Respiratory Muscles →
Deeper, Easier & Better Breathing For Superior Performance

As every competitive athlete knows, the body’s demand for oxygen substantially increases during any form of high intensity exercise.  The "EXPAND-A-LUNG" inspiratory / expiratory breathing resistance exerciser is a breakthrough product for respiratory fitness training.-- Research supports that this type of exercise significantly improves the strength of respiratory muscles, and increases the volume of lung oxygen ventilation. The end result is deeper, easier and better breathing for superior performance.

5 YEAR UNLIMITED WARRANTY
BUY FROM THE MANUFACTURER

It is a fact that breathing resistance exercise will develop stronger lungs, and this in turn can provide an endurance advantage for any sport.  It can also be beneficial to people who suffer from shortness of breath, due to natural aging and respiratory disorders. Information for respiratory patients can be obtained by visiting our COPD  web site at  www.copd-breather.com

About our Exercise

Our breathing exercise is modeled after the relaxing and slow breathing exercises used in Yoga and Tai Chi.  Our exercise promotes relaxation and proper breathing technique, but with the addition of adjustable resistance to strengthen your lungs.  It is a slow and continuous flowing breathing resistance exercise,  inhaling and exhaling through the comfortable mouthpiece.  This is by far a more complete and  effective breathing exercise than the one provided by threshold machines that separate and isolate inhaling from exhaling during the exercise. (Simple instructions are included)

About Our Product
($29.95/Free Shipping)

Only one moving part, 100% rust proof & practically indestructible, The Expand-A-Lung  is very easy and comfortable to use. It's also pocket size (4" tall), so that you can take it anywhere. It comes with a 5 yr. warranty for parts & labor.

Most Effective & Easy To Use

The Expand-A-Lung offers the widest range of resistance levels to meet anyone's needs. From a low resistance for respiratory rehab patients, gradually increasing to a high resistance level for competitive athletes. No other product can achieve this range with a single model.

To exercise, simply select the breathing resistance level with the adjustable valve, and then slowly inhale, hold and exhale through the comfortable silicone mouthpiece. (Simple exercise instructions are included with the product)

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

JeremyGentles
on 10/12/09 4:32 am, edited 10/12/09 5:36 am - Johnson City, TN
As MacMadame said, the fitter you are the better you perform at higher altitudes. There are a number of ways to increase endurance performance in general and respiratory muscle training is one method that may improve performance. With this said, there have been mixed results from respiratory muscle training where some studies suggest that healthy subjects do benefit and other studies suggesting that they do not benefit. When all is said and done, respiratory muscle training probably does improve endurance performance. To what extent is still unknown from population-to-population. There is some evidence to suggest that well trained or elite athletes may benefit more than the "average joe" while other research suggests that elite combat forces do not benefit. Quantifying the benefit received from respiratory muscle training is pretty difficult at this time and certainly warrants more research.

So, will respiratory muscle training improve running performance at altitude? Sure but so will running on a regular basis. Increasing the strength and endurance of respiratory muscles will improve endurance performance regardless of where you are competing. Running on a regular basis, using a periodized strength training program, using high intensity intervals, eating properly, getting enough rest, and number of other things will prepare you for running a half marathon regardless of where it takes place. Being more fit increases performance at sea level or at altitude.

There are a number of adaptations that occur when someone lives at altitude or simulates living at altitude that CANT be achieved through training. A couple of these include increases in hemoglobin and hematocrit.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

MacMadame
on 10/11/09 4:07 pm - Northern, CA
The fitter you are, the better you will handle the altitude.

I did a triathlon at altitude and I found it did impact my pace a bit, but the real detriment was to my ability to think. I did not follow my normal pre-race routine and made a lot of dumb mistakes along the way.

So doing what you can to race on automatic pilot would be very helpful. I plan to do that race again next year and I plan not to be a stupid-head during it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active