23 miles, I think I can do this!

panhead58fl
on 10/11/09 3:18 pm - Barboursville, WV
I did my long run Sunday.  Was suppose to be 22 miles, but when I stopped to hydrate and do a gel at the 21 mile mark I had decided to try to get in an extra mile.

My plan is to take liquid in at 3 mile intervals, so that is what I have been practicing. I have been carrying G2  with me or time it so I go by my car to refill. I have also been using gels. I plan on walking the water stations.

Mile 18 was tough and mile 19 was even tougher, shin splints and knees were hurting. Once I made it to mile 20 I started telling my self I can do this and the pain had eased up. I slowed down and drank 8 oz at mile 21 and started back. Didn't seem quite as bad as getting started out on mile 19. I kept telling my self I can do this. If I had more time I would have tried to  do the full 26. I had to hurry home and do an ice bath. Took a quick shower after that and had to take my grandson home. 70 miles one way. Well didn't quite make it. Car broke down about twenty minutes into trip. So with legs aching I am crawling under my car to see what was wrong. Determined what the problem was and without going into all of that, my wife came and took our grandson home and 2 1/2 hours later car is fixed. Go to start car and battery is weak and won't start the car because the flashers have been on the whole time.
Some people have all the luck!
Quick jump and was on my way home.
At one point I was getting up from under the car and I told a friend that had brought the tools I needed I would have had such a hard time if I was still 375. Even with doing the 23 miles it was easier than when I was 375.

When I started the day I was wondering if I could really do a full marathon. After today I'm thinking, "I can do this". In 3 weeks I will know for sure.

pan head
Rob S.
on 10/11/09 10:13 pm - DE
Sounds like you have the marathon preparation.  Should be much easier than taking care of the car.  Good luck.
Rob
panhead58fl
on 10/12/09 1:35 am - Barboursville, WV
Thanks, Rob. Hopefully the wheels won't fall of in the next couple of weeks. Starting the taper now.

pan head
Duane1064
on 10/11/09 10:50 pm - Bloomington, IN
 If I were a betting man I'd put my money on you to do it.  What a great effort.  Goodluck!

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
panhead58fl
on 10/12/09 1:38 am - Barboursville, WV
thanks, Duane. Never imagined I would even try such a thing just a few years ago.

pan head
saxman007
on 10/11/09 11:19 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Last year my longest run was 19 miles, same thing with this year.  You've done the training and you'll do great at the marathon
--Dan
panhead58fl
on 10/12/09 1:43 am - Barboursville, WV
One plan I looked at called for 18 or 20. After doing 18 I still couldn't get it in my head I could do another 8. Now I really think it might be possible. I was some what amazed when I got to mile 20 or so and I started telling my self I can do this, it really helped. It gave me a much needed kick in the pants.

Thanks,
pan head
Seht
on 10/11/09 11:26 pm
Way to go, congrats on that long run!!!!  I bet you could do it to.

Sorry to hear that you had the car problems.

I'm so sore and achy after 13 miles, I think my body would go on strike after 26.  Crawling under the car and doing work after that sounds like adding another stage onto your own special Ironman event!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

panhead58fl
on 10/12/09 1:32 am - Barboursville, WV

Thanks,
My ribs are so sore today from laying on my side on rocks while working on my car. Feels like some one beat me. Glad today is a rest day, only walking today.

pan head

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/12/09 2:59 am - Fort Worth, TX
My longest run pre marathon last year was 19... you are def ready!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active