Sunday Workouts - worried about my knee

mcarthur01
on 10/11/09 8:20 am - Cumming, GA
I'm suffering with a left knee injury so i'm pretty limited and frustrated with what i've been able to do for the past week.  i was able to get a decent ride in today however, and put in a 52 mile bike ride on some decent hills in just over 3 hours.  I had sharp pain in my outer knee at the half hour mark and almost quit, but slowed down, upped my cadence, and pushed through. 

i'm anxious about the injury as i have a half marathon and a 9 mile trail race coming up in November, anybody have any issues with their knees/IT band?
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Sherry_Berry
on 10/11/09 9:53 am - Dacula, GA
Yarp! Was just about to say it sounds like an IT Band issue! Where do you work? If you're willing to travel a little bit (I have to) I see Dr. Nik Delfavero at 1st choice healthcare in decatur (they have a webpage).

I used to do PT, but since I went to him he's fixed me up and kept me on the mend! You don't need a referral as chiropractors and gynecologists don't. he specializes in ART and Graston. He's worked on MANY Ironmen and some olympians too! I love me some therapy!
Duane1064
on 10/11/09 10:09 am - Bloomington, IN
 I tore my medial colateral ligament while playing football back in 1982.  That injury ended my competitive sports career.  In April of 2007 I had that same knee scoped.  I had meniscus shaved on both sides of my knee and my ACL is frayed.  The Ortho. said it may or may not need reconstructed at some point.  That knee is full osteophytes.  Basically thirty years of excess weight hasn't helped that knee any at all either.  I've been very careful with my training post-op.  I try not to do running two days in a row unless my knee feels really good.  I'm going to do a lot of cross training this winter.  Good luck with your knee I know the IT Band can really be bothersome.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/11/09 11:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
Yeah Bro,

Def sounds like IT Band... I had the same deal on my right knee after a marathon earlier in the year. It did not bother me when I swam, or cycled, would start bothering me about 2-3 miles into a run. I went to my Chiro and got ART 2 x p/ week, did tons of stretching, bought some sole inserts that helped give my pancake flat Fred Flinstone feet some sort of an arch, and I have been money ever since... (Along with taking it easy on my runs for 2 months) I did a lot of aqua runs to maintain my fitness and range of motion, and was really going bonkers slacking off on my run.... I had a great base built up, I ran that last marathon in 4:23:01 in 30 degree weather, with 25-30 MPH winds, and it was all up and down, hardly any flats, AT ALL!!! If I would have pushed it  injured, there is no way I would have finished the 4 Ironman events I have done so far this year. Just take it easy, and let your IT heal good. Get it fixed ASAP so you can get back to it. Sunday was a day of rest for me.... Let's all  have an awesome week.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 10/11/09 11:37 am - Missoula, MT
I noticed that stability shoes cause me IT band problems even though I have low arches.  I now use a lightweight neutral.  I also noticed that if the angle isn't just right on my bike shoes/pedals, I can have IT band trouble as well.  Just a couple things to think about.

As far as workouts go, I did a little 4-mile run.  Also took the dog for a walk, did laundry and some ironing (got some new pants yesterday) and dishes and vacuumed the floor.  Busy day.  Now it's time to get studying...

Linn 
Sherry_Berry
on 10/11/09 11:50 am - Dacula, GA
My IT band trouble comes from my tight hips...I never knew the shoes can throw you off on the one. Makes sense if you're wearing the wrong one and it throws off your gait. Interesting!
MacMadame
on 10/11/09 4:11 pm - Northern, CA
I still can't figure out what the IT band is.

Anyway, I did swim intervals in the morning and a 5k TT in the evening. I thought my calf was healed, but it started hurting after a mile and that makes me run funny which then make the knee hurt. I need to nip this thing in the bud as I have a small race this weekend and then the big one the weekend after that. I need to be in one piece for my HIM or I won't make the time cutoff!

Oh and I did 8:56 min/mi in my time trial. I am SO STOKED!!!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 10/14/09 10:31 am - Missoula, MT
The IT band is the muscle that attaches at the front of the tibia goes around the knee and back up to the hip (ilium).  I'm pretty sure it's the only thigh muscle that spans both joints.  Some people (like me) have pain in the knee when it's tight others (Cassie) have the pain in the hip.

Congrats on the time trial!  Feels great, doesn't it!

Linn
Michelle B.
on 10/12/09 2:38 am - Augusta, ME
I got in a 6 mile run

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

Most Active