First Half Marathon!

BOS02215
on 10/10/09 10:45 am
15 months post op, at goal weight (135) for 5 months now...  five 5ks and one 5 MILE under my belt... and I am ready to hit the big time!  The Carlsbad Half Marathon in January '10 is now 15 weeks away and I have begun my training regimen. Truly, I have no speed goals. My goal is to finish and run the entire course. That's it. Frankly, at my pace, I could still be running it when February rolls around!  BUT I DON'T CARE!  I'm signed up and running!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/10/09 11:20 am - Fort Worth, TX
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Vampi
on 10/10/09 3:19 pm - Mandeville, LA
HEY!! I signed up for my first half too!!  Mine is the Rock n Roll Mardi Gras 1/2 and Full Marathon in New Orleans! 

Mine is in February 2010!  I am so excited about it! 

Good luck on yours!  WE CAN DO IT! 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

MacMadame
on 10/10/09 6:39 pm - Northern, CA
Good for you!

Are you using a training plan? I tried the FIRST plan but it didn't work for me. I do better if I run for time than for pace.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 10/11/09 2:33 am - Missoula, MT
Very Cool! 

Finishing that first big race is a neat feeling.  Go get 'em!

Linn

mcarthur01
on 10/11/09 8:10 am - Cumming, GA
good luck... i signed up for my first half on turkey day.  now if only i can start to train running again so i can fini****! (knee injury)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

BOS02215
on 10/11/09 9:50 am
Thank you! I am so excited!  It seems I need goals to keep me motivated to keep exercising. Unless I have an event on the horizon I tend to get lazy. To that end, I am signed up for a 5k next month, the Carlsbad half marathon in January, and I will be signing up for another half marathon on the east coast over Memorial Day weekend.

I have several training plans I'm reviewing. Most start at 12 weeks, though. I am going to try one a week and pick one at 12 weeks. I also need to more carefully monitor my protein intake and increase it a bit.  Getting used to eating lean meats again has been a struggle since surgery, so other than fish my main protein sources are beans, soy and protein powders.  Ironically I have no issues with beef filet... but that's an expensive habit!

Seht
on 10/11/09 2:07 pm
Congrats.  I just ran my first 1/2 today, and I have another one scheduled for the 31st of this month.
I am so glad I did it, it was such a feeling of accomplishment.  You are going to love it.

Just like you said I'm someone who needs a focus.  It's too easy to sit on the couch.  Keep up the training and the nutrition.  you will enjoy the race.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 10/11/09 4:05 pm - Northern, CA
I totally agree about having goals! The other times I've lost weight, I would exercise, but once I got to goal, I'd lose all my motivation. Now I have all these fitness goals that are more than just losing weight and it makes a big difference!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Hawgman
on 10/11/09 10:41 pm - TX
Way to go ladies!!

The hardest thing is the sign up!

Good luck to both of you.

Darrell
Most Active