Has anyone done the Lone Star Half Iron in Galveston

Darrell H.
on 10/8/09 4:05 am - Sinton, TX
I am really considering doing this race as my first 1/2 Iron event. It is the last weekend in April. My running has really been improving and I am getting good time in the pool twice a week as a cross training day to get off my feet. I probably won't put too many miles in the saddle till after my marathon in January. I will probably only ride the bike once a week till then and probably no more than 30-45 minutes a time. I know I will be ready for this race especially just to complete it as my 1st M Dot event. Has anyone done this race and if so is there any advice you can give me on it. Thanks.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/8/09 4:12 am - Fort Worth, TX
I had a bunch of friends do it this year and said it was a pretty good challenge. One of my buddies got stung all up his arms by Jellyfish, which are VERY prevolent in that neck of the woods, but nothing you can't handle! Go for it!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Darrell H.
on 10/8/09 4:39 am - Sinton, TX
Yeah jellies can be kind of bad arounf Galveston. Here in the Corpus Christi are, we get to swim with a lot of cabbage head jellies. They dont sting, but its fun watching out of towners swim around them since there can be hundreds of them around and people are trying to avoid their stings.

What was the most challenging, just the jellies or was their a good current? Did you hear anything about the bike or run?

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/8/09 5:13 am - Fort Worth, TX
Only other thing I heard was WIND... Which is nothing new for you. Other than that I heard it was a great race...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Darrell H.
on 10/8/09 11:11 am - Sinton, TX
Thanks Dan. Yeah those coastal winds are insane some times. They finally have up quite a few of those huge windmills that are up in west Texas here on my bike route. I need to get a picture of me riding with them in the background.I believe Chad may have done the quarter iron before. Hopefully he will chime in when he gets a chance.

Most Active