running in the dark?

Michelle B.
on 10/6/09 1:58 am - Augusta, ME

Just curious what everyone does as the days are getting shorter?  I have always run in the evening but I am running out of day light.  I tried running on the treadmill last week but I enjoy running outdoors so much  more.   So does anyone run at night and have advice?

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

shane614
on 10/6/09 2:25 am - elgin, IL
I just went to the sports store and bought a running jacket that is bright orange and has a little flashing light in the sleeve.  I also bought layering clothes to run in the cold mornings.
mcarthur01
on 10/6/09 2:30 am - Cumming, GA
i've run in the dark on occasion, but as i live in a very rural area with no street lights, it is very difficult and dangerous.  personally, i probably won't do it anymore because last week i almost was run over and a dog attacked me... (not a good run :) ).  i would look at a vest with lights on it and a headlamp if you are going to do it in an area without adequate street lights.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 10/6/09 3:08 am
I will end up running at the gym, or I will head to the local high school and run on their track.

I don't like running after dark, the streets in my area have little to no shoulder it's bad enough during the day.  At night it would be suicidal.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 10/6/09 7:11 am - Lumberton, NJ
I adjust my route and run through a development down the street from me.  I can squeek about 6 miles out if it, if I run on all the looping streets.  It's not as exciting as running down the country roads, but it is safe!  I wear a reflective vest, and a head lamp. 

saxman007
on 10/7/09 10:39 am - Port Huron, MI
I LOVE running in the dark -- especially if it's a clear, cold night.  I've got to eat a quick dinner and make a phone call and I'm really praying I can get a run in tonight (might not be until 10 or so but that's fine).  Something about running in the dark really helps get me in the zone.
Somethings to think about:  make sure you have reflective clothing!  That's the most important thing.  I've got a reflective running vest by Nathan that I'll start using now.  Ironically some of my 'night running' coats are black with reflective spots all over them.  It's the reflection the motorists will see -- not a bright color.  
Think about any biker that you've passed at night -- you notice their pedals because it's reflecting and moving. 
With that said, I've got 5 miles of subdivision streets and I could probably go into another sub for about 8 if I needed to.  Yeah I'm pretty lucky!
--Dan

Michelle B.
on 10/7/09 10:36 pm - Augusta, ME
thanks everyone.  I could run around my neighborhood and of course I need to get a reflective vest to wear. 

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

Most Active