first run in 2 weeks

Seht
on 10/4/09 1:34 pm
Ugh I had my first run in almost 2 weeks.  It sucked, it felt like I was starting to run from the beginning.  I kept the pace o.k. but it was just brutal.  Legs hurt, I was out of breath, and sweating like a pig. 

My stomach still isn't right and if I eat anything at all that is the least bit fatty, or sweet, or spicy, it feels like I am going to dump.  Not that it's a bad thing, but I had been able to eat just about whatever I want as long as I kept it in moderation.  Now I get gas and cramping pain.  The docs have no idea what's causing it. 

I have my 1/2 marathon coming up this weekend.  After 2 weeks of being sick and not getting in any running and only 1 bike ride during that time, I don't have any hopes of finishing the whole thing without a  lot of walk breaks. 

I'm pretty disappointed about this, I was so close before I got sick.  I think that if I had kept my pace down, I could have run the whole thing without stopping.  Especially if I had found another turtle to run with.

On the upside my coach said that since this is my first 1/2 marathon, I should look at it as a P.R. no matter what I do.  Then I can compete against it in a couple weeks when I have my second 1/2 marathon schedules.  So I keep telling myself that and hopefully I'll start to believe it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 10/4/09 1:56 pm - Northern, CA
Scott- There was a couple doing my Half Marathon today and they were deliberately walking and running. They had their watches set and when it beeped, they'd switch.

The kicker is that I think they may have finished before me. LOL

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

panhead58fl
on 10/5/09 4:19 am - Barboursville, WV
Hey Scott, hang in there I feel the same way when I have not been able to run for a while. But you will be surprised that after a couple of runs to knock out the cob webs that your over all fitness is still there. I really think that it will take more than a couple of weeks to undo what you have gained to this point. Half the battle is starting something. When you are standing on the starting line you are all ready ahead of 90 % of the people. The ones that talk about doing it, but don't. No matter where you finish 1st or last, everyone gets the same medal.

pan head
wjoegreen
on 10/5/09 6:37 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Restarting is frustrating but its worth it.  Hang in there dude.  It will come back.  Getting your self healthy is the most impotant part.,  Don't qualify for the Olympics on us too fast.  We couldn't stand the competition!!!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 10/5/09 6:41 am
When they add the slow over 40's division to the olympic sign me up!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 10/5/09 9:40 am - Missoula, MT
As you continue recovering this week, I think you'll feel a lot better on race day than you think you will.  Try to enjoy the experience and put the illness as far to the back of your mind as you can.  All my best to you, Scott.

Linn 
Most Active