lake lanier islands - GA sprint tri race report

mcarthur01
on 10/4/09 3:06 am - Cumming, GA
finished my third sprint tri (and the last for this season) this morning.  i felt great during this race and had planned to "leave it all out on the course" today.  i actually felt, after i completed, that i could have gone a bit harder, but not much.  i think that is the old morbidly obese guy, holding back so i could have enough gas to finish the game (i.e., football or rugby as it used to be for me). 

finished unofficially with a 7th place finish out of 60 in the clydes division and 131st out of maybe 850 or so (the race organizers claimed a thousand, but unless there were a ton of DNF'ers the results only showed in the mid 800's).  my time was 1 hr and 16 minutes with splits of:

8:59 swim (450 or so yards)
3:36 T1 (included a run up a very big hill from the lake to transition)
36:51 on the bike through some decent up and down hills - total of 1500 ft elevation gain (21.2 MPH - 13 miles)
1:28 T2
25:20 5K (8:11 pace)  this was a PR for me...

again, i felt great, but also that i could have bettered the run a bit.  can't wait until more tri's next season.  in the meantime, it's on to training for my century ride later this month and then some good runs in November (9 mile trail run and my first 1/2 marathon)... later

bill
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Linn D.
on 10/4/09 3:13 am - Missoula, MT
Well done, Bill!!

Great times, and congrats on the run PR!  It's really nice to feel good at a race, isn't it?  One of the best feelings in the world is to be out on the course, working hard, and having the body just work with you.  

Sounds like you had a really nice last tri for the season that will help give you good motivation for next year.

Again, congrats on a great race!

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/4/09 3:52 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good job bro... 1500' of elevation in 13 miles ??????   That's almost as much as IM 70.3 Buffalo Springs 56 mile bike course (Which was a beast).... Great job and you are going to be Uber strong next season,...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 10/4/09 8:34 am - Dacula, GA
That was my first tri back in 2006!

Out of all the tri's I have done, that is by far hands down the worst T1 route anywhere. You go up this HUGE hill. You try to run, people walk and it's a clusterfook!

The bike's not so bad.

I hate running, so that part always sucks for me :D

Great job out there! Sorry I didn't make it to cheer you on!

Did you see any of my Atlanta Tri Club peeps out there?
Darrell H.
on 10/4/09 10:45 am - Sinton, TX
Awesome job Bill! You are definately kicking some butt out there. keep up the great work!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Seht
on 10/5/09 6:52 am
Wow, congrats!

That's a very good showing.  I hope next year brings your more of the same success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Duane1064
on 10/5/09 8:26 pm - Bloomington, IN

Good job!  Sounds like you had fun in the process.  I hope to do some tri-sprints next year myself. 

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Most Active