1/2 marathon in jan? am i crazy?

marcie K.
on 10/2/09 12:53 pm - Sahuarita, AZ
a few people at work are signed up for a 1/2 marathon in January and are trying to convince me to sign up as well.  I keep saying no but sercretly have been considering it.  I just don't know if I'd be able to do it.  I'm at 2sixty1 (sorry my six key is broke) and figure I'd be probably 240 or so by then.  I can easily walk 3 miles without much effort (been walking with others and haven't pushed myself).  The big problem for me is I have plantar fascitious though it hasn't been bothering me too much since I've lost over 70lbs so far though as I've been walking more and working out more I'm starting to feel it more. 

So I guess I'm wondering what people think; would it be just crazy to try to do this?  I don't want to hurt myself...
beckipoohbear
on 10/2/09 1:05 pm - AZ
 My only concerns would be that it is only 3 months away.  My sister and I are training for the PF Chang's 1/2 in January and with her beginner walk/run training program she is already at 5-6 miles for her long training runs.  I am doing a half on Halloween but I also have been doing other running training programs since February of this year.  I would also look at whether there is a time requirement because if not you might want to give it a go but if there is it might be tough to make it.  And no matter what, if you can't do it in January there will always be one a few months later!!  Way to go for secretly entertaining the thought, I totally understand how it is both intimidating and exciting at the same time. :) There are some really experienced runners who can probably give you better advice but those are my thoughts.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

marcie K.
on 10/2/09 1:14 pm - Sahuarita, AZ
Hi Rebecca

Thanks for the reply!  I think that's the same one they are doing:)  They told me there is a bus so if I can't finish I can always get on the bus; but I don't want to do it if I don't have a good chance of finishing.  I would only be planning on walking it and one guy who is doing it is planning on walking and I would walk with him.  I guess I just think it's cool that they are trying to get me to do it and that they are being so supportive and would train and walk with me when the others are runners.

Thanks
Marcie 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/2/09 1:10 pm - Fort Worth, TX
You will def injure yourself ramping up from a 3 mile base to a 13 mile run with Plantar Fas... in 3 months... Get that better, continue to lose your weight, and once you are better, hit it with guns-a-blazin!!! My two cents...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 10/3/09 3:47 am - Missoula, MT
I'm assuming you've gotten the right shoes?  The shoe can make a big difference.

I don't think it's too outrageous to think of doing it.  It's a really nice, flat course.  My sister walked it without training and she's probably in the obese category.  We're short and walked it together with our mom for her 60th birthday a few years ago.  We weren't removed from the course (4:15 ish finish time) either.  This was the only one I walked, but it was fun, too.

So what I'm saying is if you want to do this, you probably can.  It's a great course, well run, and a fun race.  If you can build to 9 or 10 miles by 2 weeks before the race, it'll be easy for you.

Linn
Most Active