Compression Socks

Duane1064
on 9/30/09 9:14 pm - Bloomington, IN
Do any of you use compression socks when you exercise, particularly when running?  I've a history of varicose veins and venous stasis.  I've had venous closure in both legs and losing 130lbs has greatly helped too...that and all of the exercising that I'm doing now. 

I read a reply to a post by Dan B. that the compression socks helped with shin splints.  I'd never thought of them for that.  I did see a lot of athletes wearing them at the Louisville Ironman and wondered why.  I've had shin splints in the past, years ago.  I don't want them again.  I've been properly fitted for running shoes at my local running store and I only use them when I run.  As heavy as I currently am, 270lbs, I may change them before 350 miles.  I just want to be very proactive about shin splints, I'd like keep the swelling in my legs to a minimum and lessen the discoloration  from venous stasis.
Thanks,
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Rob S.
on 9/30/09 11:31 pm - DE
Hey Duane,
I've used both the socks and the sleeves (which I prefer) for about year.  Ever since I started using them I've have had no problems with calves or shins.  At my age that is a real blessing. They make look dorky but they seem to help a lot. 
Rob
kypdurran
on 10/1/09 1:18 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Duane I have a pair that I use after long races (anything over an Olympic distance tri) and they really help with my calves cramping.   I wore them during one race, Wildflower 70.3, earlier this year but couldn't really tell a difference so I use them for recovery exclusively now.   World Triathlon Corporation (Ironman) banned them from all Ironman branded races so I wouldn't be able to race in them anymore anyway.  Train in them first and see how they feel.   

Good luck!

Chad
www.team464.com 

Duane1064
on 10/1/09 1:26 am - Bloomington, IN
I had read about them being banned and wondered why.  I can't see how they would aid in your performance....speed related.  I've got a couple of pair now.  One type is more of a dress sock and one is like athletic socks.  I use them at work on occasion.  I think that they help if I'm going to be on my feet all day.

Duane

I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
kypdurran
on 10/1/09 1:27 am - Baton Rouge, LA
They banned them because they cover up your markings on your legs.   Maybe a company can come up with some see thru ones or something but until then WTC will DQ you if you wear them.  :(
Duane1064
on 10/1/09 1:40 am - Bloomington, IN
That makes sense I guess.  Thing is I love my running socks so much that I wouldn't want to use anything else for running.  Also, I would think that it would take extra time in transition to put the compression socks on....mine fit tight and it's not a quick process to get them on and situated.

Duane

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/1/09 3:12 am - Fort Worth, TX
FYI on Compression Socks being banned...It was reversed:

Compression sock ban reversed

Written by: Herbert Krabel
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009

Just before 7pm EST tonight I received an e-mail with the following statement from Blair LaHaye, the Director of Communications of World Triathlon Corporation. "In response to athlete feedback, World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) has retracted its ban on garments that cover the calves at this year's Ford Ironman World Championship, taking place on October 10, in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. Because the age of athletes wearing these garments is not visible, Ironman will eliminate marking athletes' ages on calves in Kona to ensure fairness among the field. The tradition of body marking of bib numbers on athletes' arms will remain in place. WTC will continue reviewing this issue and evaluating ways to display ages of participating athletes."

There had been all kinds of speculations and rumors about the "real" reason behind the initial ban of socks and other garments that cover the calves, but now quite a few people will be able to sleep better the next few weeks. Especially the industry people who make compression socks, the Pros who earn money doing so, and the age groupers who have come to accept them as the miracle solution.

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active