Graduate of the C25K - kind of?

Teri S.
on 9/28/09 7:49 am - Southeastern, IN
This week is my last week of the C25K....at least I think!

I am running 30 mins this week, but my time is really bad. I'm no where near a 5k in 30 mins. Ok, a little closer than if I walk the whole thing.

I'm a little frustrated with myself.

So here is my question, do I keep running for 30 mins and try to go faster?  I thought about doing some speed intervals during the 30 mins. Like "run" at my normal pace for a minute then speed up for 2 mins...OR do I keep adding time to my run to hit the 5K? Any suggestions!?

I'm feeling kind of bummed today...

Teri
beckipoohbear
on 9/28/09 8:14 am - AZ
For me I get more satisfaction out of distance than time so I would just keep adding on 5 minutes each day until you hit that 5K distance!  You can do it.  Then once you know how long the 5K takes you, you can start working on improving your time! 

Keep up the good work, it will happen.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Seht
on 9/28/09 9:30 am
I have done the c25k three times.  I was more interested in distance than time.  So the first time I did it I did mine based on distance.  I didn't care how long it took me or how long I ran as long as I finally was able to run the whole 5k without stopping or walking.

Once I got to being able to do the 5k, I went back and did the whole thing over again only faster. 

It's not a pass or fail system.  If you have a hard week and can't complete it, then just do that week again until you can do it the way you want.

Keep up with the good work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 9/28/09 9:56 am
Teri, the fact that you stuck with the C25K program is reason to celebrate! 

Remember the program is designed to help you run a 5K OR 30 minutes in 2 months - NOT complete a 5k IN 30 minutes.  I think I was running for a year before I was able to finally get my 5K pace under 10 minute miles.  I'm still better at endurance than speed.

Now, where you go from here depends on your goals.  If you want to train to run a 10k, then you focus on adding more distance.  If you want to run faster 5Ks, then speed work is the way to go.

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 9/28/09 1:42 pm - Missoula, MT
I'm the opposite of Cassie.  I like concentrating on speed.  My opinion is that if you can work on speed NOW then working on distance and doing speed work later are easier.  I find that when people want to work on speed after they're already in a slower running mode, it's really a lot more difficult than they expect.  So if you work on it now before you get into a routine, you might have a little bit better success later on.

Just my nickel's worth.

Linn
MacMadame
on 9/28/09 2:05 pm - Northern, CA
When I got to the end, I wasn't going 5k either so I just kept adding 10% onto the time. 33 min, then 36, then 40, et****il I got the whole 5k in.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Duane1064
on 9/28/09 8:33 pm - Bloomington, IN
I'm kind of in the same situation.  I'm afraid that if I concentrate on just going for a certain time or distance that I may be able to do but it will be at a snails pace.  Also, I don't know what to expect from my 270lbs body.  How far and fast should I expect my body to go with that much weight and a right knee that's had two surgeries?  I don't want to go too easy but I don't want to push too hard and really get hurt either.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Teri S.
on 9/28/09 9:57 pm - Southeastern, IN
Thanks for all the replies!  I'm not sure what I'm going to do beyond this week...either working on my speed or my distance....but what I do know is I'm not quitting...and I'm going to celebrate finishing the C25K!

Thanks again!

Teri
Heavenlydelight
on 9/29/09 10:10 am - Houston, TX
Great job on starting  C25k. I did my very 1st (and only) 5k in May and I came in dead last, over 45 minutes, the walkers even beat me but I jogged all the way through. Although my son kept saying "walk faster, walk faster" and still teases me to this day. (I did not walk at all)

I was so focused on being able to do a 5k that speed didnt even come to mind. I  just focused on jogging the full 3.1 miles.  After that event was when I realized I should have focused on speed and distance at the same time BUT,  I completed my goal of doing a 5k. Nothing can take that feeling of accomplishment away.

I have since started the program over and over to increase my speed. I am just naturally slow. If someone is with me, I can keep a good pace behind them but on my own I just slow to a jog. I run on my treadmill now to keep a good even pace.

If you dont have a race scheduled you can begin working on speed and distance now. Just remember nothing happens overnight. You being out there is all that matters.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!

Duane1064
on 9/29/09 8:22 pm - Bloomington, IN
I've seen on The Biggest Loser several times when the trainers have the contestants on the treadmill it looks to me like they having them do speed work or intervals.  I know last night one of them was saying they had to to 30sec. at 8.5 mph (without holding on).  Is this how they increase their speed?  Build up the speed and the time?  Even when I was slim I never was a speed demon.  I wonder what I'll be able to accomplish now?

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Most Active