Hello

kimberlygpena
on 9/25/09 2:08 am - Angleton, TX
RNY on 09/24/13

I have found out that I will not be able to get surgery unless I become a cash patient and my finances are not going to all that at this time. So I have decided to get up and stop feeling sorry for myself and start excersing and eating better. I just not to sure where to start, I used run when I was smaller, but I just want to start small and then get back to running. I have bought some workout videos, but I need some ideas with getting a good workout. I will need support, my husband is all for it but I just want to have other people that can relate. So if you have any advice I would gladly appreciate it.

Michelle B.
on 9/25/09 2:27 am - Augusta, ME
If you want to get back into running try the Couch to 5K program.  It is a great place to start.

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

kimberlygpena
on 9/25/09 2:40 am - Angleton, TX
RNY on 09/24/13

Where would I find out about this program?

Thank you for your input.

Michelle B.
on 9/25/09 3:05 am - Augusta, ME
just google it.

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

wjoegreen
on 9/25/09 5:20 am, edited 9/25/09 5:21 am - Colonial Heights, VA
If you like getting outside, I'd suggest walking. Its more beneficial than I gave it credit and it can lead to jogging if you get to where you are going far enough long enough.  Couch to 5K is a good program but it depends on your weight and health as to how much you can do and how fast. Trying to do too much too fast leads to muscle and joint imflammation or injury or shin splints. So be smart but find what works for you and your schedule.  Finding something or somethings that get you moving is the important part.  Good nutrient is also vital to success. Even though you are not having  surgery at this time,...you may consider the 14 day liver shrinking pre-op diet most RNY doctors recommend.  It can help shed 10-15 pounds or about a pound a day for 2 weeks.  It could be a great start to a new beginning.  I will say a big part of the succcess of this whole process is, it is not a diet,..even with the surgery, if we return to eating the same old bad foods, we get the same old bad results.  This is about a committment to a lifestyle change; I don't eat fried foods, I don't drink sodas, I don't eat ice cream,...etc etc.  Can I eat 1 or 2 cookies and not half or the whole box in one sitting?  When I get bored or down a bit, I have had to learn to go do something rather than go eat or sit in front of the TV and munch for 2 hrs (or longer).  I hope any of this helps.  Good luck to you.  You are welcome whether you've had WLS or not.  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 9/25/09 5:20 am
it's an awesome program and I used it and loved it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 9/26/09 4:21 am, edited 9/26/09 4:22 am - Missoula, MT
Besides the exercise, which is healthy overall, what I've discovered (I'm 5 years post-op) is that I really do eat a lot of the same things I used to (I didn't eat that badly) but PORTION CONTROL is the biggest thing I've needed to learn.  That's been the best thing that's helped me maintain my weight.

Another thing to try is the USDA website for nutrition information.  It's www.mypyramid.gov.  It has all the current nutritional information and recommendations for healthy eating.  You can get a somewhat personalized plan based on age and activity level and there are really good explanations of the different food groups and just how much a serving is.  You can even register and track your food and exercise.

Like Joe, I very rarely eat fried foods, limit my sweets intake, and eat mostly complex carbs.  I don't eat the large amounts of protein that others here do, but I get enough and try really hard to get a good variety of fruits and vegetables also.

So I guess what I'm saying is in addition to the exercise, one of the best things that will help is to get a handle on good nutrition and portion sizes.  It's really hard to do, but worth it.  And even if you can't get surgery, you will improve your health.  One of the main benefits of exercise is heart and overall health.  It causes your body to have lower triglycerides, lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases the HDL (good) cholesterol.  It is also very beneficial to your body's ability to control blood sugar levels.  Exercise isn't the main ingredient for weight loss, but it is the best tool (In my opinion) for overall health. 

Best of luck to you in your endeavor for good health!

Linn
Most Active