I need some running advice

Darrell H.
on 9/24/09 9:04 pm - Sinton, TX
October 17 my plan calls for a 13 mile long run. October 18, Corpus Christi is hosting their annual Harbor Half 1/2 Marathon. This would typically be a no brainer. it is a local race and I would love to run in it. he only downside is that I am training for a marathon on a fast, flat course. The Harbor half is over the Harbor Bridge and the Corpus Christi Ship Channel twice (out and back). There are also other pretty decent little hills on over the causeway. Could a race like this even if I kept it a slow long run pace (about 10:40) be bad thing? I have never run the bridge, but I drive over it daily on my way to work. A picture of it is on the race website at www.harborhalf.com/
What do all of my fellow runners think? Oh I dont know if it makes any difference, but this will be the 1st time I will run that distance. My longest run to date is 8 miles and my longest run prior to that day will be 11 miles.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
saxman007
on 9/24/09 10:32 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Go for it!  If your training schedule calls for a 13 miler already I think it'd be much more enjoyable to do it with other people in a race atmosphere.  
The hill aspect shouldn't be overlooked though!  However, being a running coach you know doing hills will only help your flat running.  Take it easy on the 1/2 and don't 'race' it but use it as training and you'll be fine.
--Dan
levittown_loser
on 9/24/09 10:36 pm - Levittown, PA
My favorite training runs have hydration support and I get a medal a the end :) LOL

Go for it! Just remember your not racing.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

mcarthur01
on 9/25/09 12:26 am - Cumming, GA
ditto for me!  go for it as long as mentally you are training not racing... that way you can (maybe) enjoy it!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Hawgman
on 9/25/09 2:58 am - TX
What they said!  It is so much for fun to run in that atmosphere pounding the pavement by yourself.  Watch your pace and enjoy!!]

Darrell
Most Active