Will I ever "feel better" after I exercise?

talksoupslp
on 9/23/09 1:09 am
Okay, so I've really been disciplined about exercising since late June/early July.  At the beginning of August, I joined a gym.  My goal is to get to the gym 4 days per week, but I've been doing 5 days every week since I joined.  I mostly stick with the eliptical or the pool.  These are the 2 things that can keep my attention.  I was trying to add in the Nautilus equipment and had a session to learn how to use it, but I suffer with autoimmune disease and related joint pain.  The same week I was doing Nautilus equipment, I had pain in my low back and hips flair.  Don't know if the two events were related or just coinsidence, but decided to lay off the Nautilus stuff for a couple of weeks.

Now, I've had this conversation with people in the past, but was reminded of it this am when I checked in at the gym and was dragging.  The employee said "You'll feel better after you exercise".  The problem is, I don't.  I never have.  I feel like I've accomplished something, but I don't feel "better".  Anyone else feel this way?

Just curious...
Elli

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
panhead58fl
on 9/23/09 5:49 am - Barboursville, WV
My answer is yes. It will take a while.

I have been running for about 2 years and I can remember a year ago when I finished running 2 or 3 miles, I did not feel good. Last night I ran 4 miles, after resetting my gps watch I jogged for a 1/4 a mile for a cool down and then walked for a 1/4 of a mile. A year ago there would have been no jogging to cool down, my legs and knees would have refused to move. That was always one reason I did what ever I had to keep moving a****ering stations in a race. If I stopped I could not get started again, it was easier to just keep going at a slower pace. Last night after running and stretching I could have ran 4 more miles if it wasn't so dark I couldn't see. I was drenched with sweat and tired but I felt good. A year ago the next day I was always sore and stiff, now unless I have a really hard work out I feel great the next day.

pan head
wjoegreen
on 9/23/09 8:51 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Ditto on the Panhead comments.

I felt like I was totally wasted after running at lunch today but it felt good that I did it; I did 6 miles in 1:20 and it was another day with a good distance under my belt.  I am building distance and endurance again.  DID I feel good? Not a bit but it was agreat feeling.  Now I got some OJ cut with water and ate a protein bar, took two potassium tablets (chewed them then washed them down, waited about 15 minutes and ate (well chewed and swallowed about 1/2 of 2 small oranges) then drank another water, then and now I feel pretty alright again; about an hour recovery.  6 hrs later (as I write) I feel alittle tight but tis that good post work-out kinda tight.

we're addicits, except we are addicited to activity now and running and junk instead of eating,...and its a good thing IMHO.

Don't you think so?? 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Linn D.
on 9/24/09 1:31 pm - Missoula, MT
Elli,

The fact that you have an autoimmune disease makes your whole situation different.  You really may not ever feel 'good' when or after you exercise, but after you're more fit it will be easier and more fun.  Definitely stick with the things that you like and can do.  Since you may not be able to do the circuit weights without pain, try to be sure you do some resistance training in the pool.  You can either use the water weights (barbells and ankle weights) or get some resistance bands that can tie to the sides of the pool.  Go slowly and maybe you can avoid some of the pain.

It truly does take a while, though, before you'll feel good exercising.  It took me quite a while, but now I do.  Sometimes I even have a bad workout, but I fini**** anyway knowing that I will have another one within the next few days.  Workouts are always worth it even when they aren't good, but sticking to it makes all the difference in the world.

Best of luck to you, and I trust that you'll figure out what works for you that you can be consistent with.

Linn
talksoupslp
on 9/24/09 6:46 pm
I wondered how much the autoimmune stuff played into it.  I am doing my best at being consistant.  And I've been trying to get to water aerobics 1-2x a week for the resitance since the Nautilus equipment may not be the best for me.  My pain has been a much lower level since stopping the Nautilus stuff and getting a massage.  I'll try it again in another week or two and see what happens.

And maybe in a year or so, I will feel better after exercise.  In the meantime, I'll do what I can, be consistant and work on losing the last 90 or so pounds.  Should be a piece of cake after the first 150+

Thank you to everyone for the advice.
Elli

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
Most Active