X-Post 5 Month Surgeons Visit

Duane1064
on 9/21/09 10:14 pm - Bloomington, IN
I wanted to post this on this board not because it talks about exercise and fittness but because to me it deals with the greater picture...health.  Without your health you have nothing.  The surgery five months ago has helped me and my wifelose the weight to enable us to be healthier, fitter people.  If not for the surgery we would not be training for our first half marathon and training to participate in triathlons.  We simply would not be putting in the hours of cardio exercise.  So, here it goes.........

Yesterday my wife and I went for our 5 month post-op check up.  It went great.  I kept thinking in the back of my mind that the surgeon would be mad because we had not lost enough weight post-op.  I know this was silly but still it was in the back of my mind.  So, in 5 months we've lost 125lbs by me and 93lbs by my wife.  I've gone from a high of 5XL in clothes to an XL.  Alisica has gone from a size 24 to a 10.  She's always been a "10" in my book...sorry guys, had to put that in to earn me some points with the wife.  Last week we had a huge garage sale with lots of huge clothes.  Out with the old and in with the new.  I've gone from a size 58 waist to a size 44 and dropping.  It blows my mind going into a store and buying clothes in a size XL.  I even bought one shirt in a Large.

I could go on listing all of my little F.A.R.T.S or WOW moments but it's not about that.  It's about a higher quality of life.  It's about the years that I will be able to live with quality and purpose.  I do mean live in every sense of the word.....not just exist wishing and dreaming of the things that I would like to do.  Food no longer controls me.  My lethargy and aches and pain do not control me anymore.  I'm no longer hypertensive, no longer pre diabetic, no longer have metabolic syndrome, don't snore at night anymore.  I don't have to get up and urinate several times a night.  When I go to bed I sleep very soundly.  It's awesome having a sound, sound body, and sound spirit.  I thank God for all of the blessing that my wife and I have been given and for our new healthier life together.

Also, the doubters and naysayers...let me just say that they're eating a BIG plate of crow. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again...To the Newbies-good luck on your journey.  Use the "tool" and your resources to the fullest.  To the people taking the journey with me-hang in there.  It's full of ups and downs but it's all worth it in my opinion.  To the Veterans-thanks for your sage advice, input, and encouragement.  You've made this experience a lot easier.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Rob S.
on 9/21/09 10:44 pm - DE
Great job for both of you.  You got the right attitude.  This site is great, because the people posting really get it.  The surgery is great, but the opportunity to improve your health and excel is the challenge.  Good luck and Keep moving!
Rob
wjoegreen
on 9/21/09 11:27 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 9/22/09 2:32 am
Congrats!

It's a great feeling isn't it?

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DKCroft
on 9/22/09 9:15 pm - Bloomington, IN
You guys are doing awesome! Best of luck in your marathon.

See ya around
Cassie W.
on 9/23/09 11:22 am
Duane,

You and your wife will be among those who succeed because you understand that surgery is just the tool that empowered us to begin our journey.  Congratuations on your new life!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Duane1064
on 9/23/09 12:33 pm - Bloomington, IN
 Thanks Cassie, I really appreciate your input.  You really impress me with what you've done and your dedication.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Most Active