shin splints!!

Katie H.
on 9/21/09 11:59 am - Charlton, MA

I began training for a 5K using the Couch to 5K program two weeks ago.  This past weekend I did my workout outside - there were some hills and it was slightly longer than my usual workout (which I've been doing on the treadmill).  I was just wondering what experience other people have had with shin splints...I'm itching to be training like I was...any ideas for speeding up the recovery process?

I'm suprised as hell to be writing this, not only because I've got an injury (and an injury from running no less!!), but also because I'm signed up for my first 5k!!  Any helpful hints or suggestions for motivation or training would be greatly appreciated!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Serenity08
on 9/21/09 8:13 pm - NH
 Have you gotten fitted for running shoes?  
Serenity

wjoegreen
on 9/21/09 11:41 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
You can't do this in cheap shoes,  Getting fitted at a running store is great advice. If you've already done that thenn ou know what to look for in whatever brand you like.  I got splint when I tried to go too far to faster and hadn't lost enough weight at that point of my post-op journey. (expanding my walking to jogging) after a week of backing off and a couple days off right after they started hurting) I was good as new.  Another 10 pounds down and better shoes, I did the same effort and waa-la, no splints.  I now get my shoes at Dicks or sports outlets but I better understand insoles and foams and arch supports and the size and width I need so I can get a bit of a price break. I also usually get the recently replaced model of shoes rather than the latest greatest newly released model.  I usually drop between $50 to $85 for a pair.  They also should be replaced after about 300-350 miles of running.  I also keep multiple pairs to alternate days so the foam has recovery time and the sweat moisture has time to dry.  As they wear out, they become my causal/social sneakers and then my yard work sneakers, then trash.  So I usually get my money's worth out of them.

As far as recovery,... ice, absorbine jr rubs, and I wear the dr scholls support dress socks during the day.  They give my calves stimulatingly tight support without cutting off the circulation to my feet and toes.  They really feel good after long runs and when I push to a new distance.  They make them for women too and cost about $13 a pair,...I guess they would be like knee-hi stockings.

Best of luck and welcome to the overachievers!  Or as Darrell H has on his signature block, stop being a spectator; dare greatly.

Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Waterwench
on 9/22/09 12:15 am - portland, OR
Go to Runners World online. They have great ideas on curing shin splints as well as AVOIDING reinjuring yourself in the future. Good fitting shoes, especially if you over-pronate and need the support shoes, are essential to good form and injury prevention. Also, REST ICE COMPRESSION and ELEVATION are the 4 rights of running injury treatment. Overtraining means overuse injuries are a risk, so don't push too hard or you will regret it.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Katie H.
on 9/22/09 6:31 am - Charlton, MA
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I've been working out and added running to my workouts in July, so I was a bit stumped as to the shin splints.  My shoes are pretty new, only two months old - nowhere near 300 miles on them yet, and this is the first time I've had problems. 

I'm hoping the ice and rest will pay off and I'll be back at the gym before I know it.  I'm going tomorrow to do some work on the bike and water exercise class - it's KILLING me to take these days off, but I know it'll pay off in the long run.  Thanks for your advice everyone!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

saxman007
on 9/22/09 8:53 am - Port Huron, MI
 Some stretches that helped me, and it's hard to stretch them out! 
Lift up on to your toes as tall as you can and hold for 10 seconds, lower and repeat
Walk backwards up and down your driveway a couple times a day.
The other thing that helped, though it hurt was to massage the shins.  A good therapeutic type massage, not a gentle 'spa' type!
Good luck, shin splints aren't fun.  On the other hand, welcome to the runners club!  Don't know anyone who hasn't had them!
Most Active