Want a Bike

cgarcia112
on 9/19/09 3:00 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Had a great stationary bike workout today!

I have a goal to comlete a triathalon by thi time next year! I swim well (technique wise, still gotta work on the stamina), I am building my running skills, now I just need a bike.

I would like to get one via REI as I get perks from the membership and all. The have one that looks good, theRaleigh Grand Sport Bike - 2009. Seems to be pretty well reviewed aside from the pedals.

Any thoughts?
Granted, I plan on getting "fitted" whatever that entails, but my budget is limited right now and I really cant get up over $700

365lbs before surgery
Surgery 4/20/2009
Weight current: 266lbs

MacMadame
on 9/19/09 6:23 pm - Northern, CA
If you get serious about tris, you'll want another bike within months because that one is meant to be a commuter bike and not a road bike.

I think it's better to save up and get the best road bike you can so you don't outgrow it too quickly.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 9/21/09 3:03 am
What Marie said!

I purchased my bike at REI and have been regretting it ever since.  I should have just saved up some more pennies and bought from a local bike store. 
1.  I want more bike than what I got from REI
2.  I have had it in for repairs several times Finally replacing some of the drive train equipment to resolve the problem.

A couple questions to ask yourself.
How much riding have you done.
Will you ride the bike more in a recreational touring mode or more in a triathlon mode

Check out this site, they have some great reviews on different bikes.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

cgarcia112
on 9/21/09 4:54 am - Las Vegas, NV
well, at this point in my life I have done little no riding in the past. I "eventually" would like to participate in tri's but that will take some getting up to.
However, I need to find a good bike that is OK for the beginer that I can grow into as well. With the prices were they are I really can't be buying another bike anytime soon. With the family growing as well, saving up to get an expensive one will not be very feasible at this time either.

How needed is the "fitting" of a bike?? With such great deals online I could get a bike easily but without a 'fitting"
365lbs before surgery
Surgery 4/20/2009
Weight current: 266lbs

Seht
on 9/21/09 8:40 am
There are benefits to getting a fitting.
A good local shop should do one for you with the purchase of the bike.  But like you said, the deals to be found are online.

Here is a link on how to measure yourself if you can't swing the bike fitting.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR _INTRO&INTRO...
Not perfect, but if you just can't swing the bike fitting this should give you some general ideas.

Also some of the manufacturers will list general dimensions and what size rider the bike was intended for.  With some room for seat adjustment and being able to raise or lower the handle bars, you have some fudge room.

Do you know what your price range is right now, or are you just trying to get an idea of costs.  You can certainly get an aluminum bike for less than a carbon fiber bike, but you can also get one inbetween as well.

Also the reason I asked about the type of riding you will be doing is that some of the social bike clubs don't like having the tri bikes in the middle of their pacelines.  The bikes are a bit twitchy and it doesn't make people real comfortable for that type of riding.

Scott

Seht
on 9/21/09 8:42 am
Also if you know what size bike you need, there are some great deals to be had on ebay if you are willing to take that chance.

You could always go to a local bike shop and get them to talk to you about their bikes, perhaps recommend a size & style in your price range, then do some competative shopping online.  I would prefer to buy from a local shop, but with bikes being as expensive as they are, you have to do what you have to do.

Scott

MacMadame
on 9/21/09 2:23 pm - Northern, CA
Don't forget to look at used bikes... you can get some amazing bikes for a song. At least you can if you are average-sized. I'm short and I hardly ever can just go into a LBS and just pick up a bike. They never have my size in stock so it has to be special ordered.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active