what are you pedaling

Seht
on 9/16/09 3:47 am
So does your bike have a 3 ring crank or 2 ring, what type of setup.

Currently I am riding a 3 ring setup, but the new bike is going to come with a 2 ring compact setup.  I was kind of wondering what other peoples experiences have been.  Have you switched from one kind to the other and how was the transition for you?

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 9/16/09 3:49 am - Cumming, GA
I have a 2 ring, i have never had a 3-ring (as this is my first road bike), so don't know the difference!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

MacMadame
on 9/16/09 4:18 am - Northern, CA
I have a triple. I like it, but the lbs installed it incorrectly so it's taken some adjustments to get it working properly.

I had to move the derailer (installed too high and too close to the bike) and then I had the cable and housing leading into the shifter replace as they managed to fray the cable when they installed it.

I was taught to use an easier gear and higher cadence to be more efficient on the bike and there is no way I'd be able to go up the hills around here with a decent cadence without my "granny" gear.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

saxman007
on 9/16/09 6:36 am - Port Huron, MI
 My road bike is a double and my tri-bike is a triple.  Considering your mechanical issues I think I'd go with a double.  Even on the Muskoka course I never really wished I had more gears (though a couple of times I was surprised I was in my smallest gear).  The rest of my riding is just not enough to justify a triple.
Another thing, and I believe this is mostly a difference between triple/double vs. 105/Ultegra:  the ability to trim out the front deraileour.  This actually 'allows' you more gears without chain rub.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/16/09 7:07 am - Fort Worth, TX
The best bike is the one where all wheels stay on the ground! I have two rings and find that to be plenty... Then again, I haven't really done many Mountain climbs...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/16/09 7:14 am - Fort Worth, TX

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

MacMadame
on 9/16/09 3:27 pm - Northern, CA
On September 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM Pacific Time, DANCBJAMMIN wrote:
OMG!

Where was that taken and did they draw and quarter the driver?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/16/09 10:55 pm - Fort Worth, TX

1 Killed After Alleged Drunk Driver Plows Into Bike Race

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A car driven by an alleged drunken driver plowed into a bicycle race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border Sunday, killing one cyclist and injuring 10 others.

Juan Campos was apparently drunk and had fallen asleep at the wheel before crashing into the race in Monterrey, Mexico, police investigator Jose Alfredo Rodriguez said.

A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Mañana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him.

Killed in the crash was Alejandro Alvarez, 37, of Monterrey.

Campos told police he was an American citizen from Brownsville, Texas. The U.S. consulate could not immediately confirm that.

"We are looking into the incident in terms of whether American citizens were involved,'' consulate spokesman Todd Huizinga told the Associated Press.

The crash happened 15 minutes into the race along a highway between Playa Bagdad and Matamoros, authorities said.

A total of 452 cyclists were participating in the 21-mile race, which was canceled after the incident.

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

MacMadame
on 9/17/09 2:08 am - Northern, CA
"men trying to lynch Campos"

Good!

Sherry_Berry
on 9/16/09 7:44 am - Dacula, GA
I don't have a compact, but I have a 2 ring. If I'm riding hillz I switch back cassette to 12-27
Most Active