Does working at home=a work out?

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/09 4:20 am

Hi Everyone!
  This summer, we've been busy outside.  We've put in a railroad tie retaining wall and a cedar picket fence all the way around our property.  All of that in addition to the normal summer yard work, and my weekly housekeeping duties.  My question is....do I still need to do a formal workout?  How do I know how much outside work equals a workout?  I want to do the right thing by my body, but after the outside and inside work is done, I'm totally wiped out!  What do you think?  Is yard work enough or should I still try to squeeze in a workout?

Seht
on 9/16/09 6:13 am
Conrats on the exercise no matter how it comes.  That's great.

The livestrong website lists yard work as 191 calories per hour for watering
up to 452 calories per hour for more strenuous work.  The question to ask yourself is do you feel like you are working out.

I know that a long day of doing that kind of stuff wears me out too.  Heck it doesn't even take a long day of it.  But there isn't the intensity I get when i have a concentrated workout.  You also have to take into account the down time between the tasks you are doing.  Are you working every minute of that time or is it really only 30 minutes out of an hour or whatever it happens to be.

Is it good for you, absolutely.  Any activity is better than no activity, but are you physically wiped out or mentall wiped out or is it a little bit of both. 

If you think you can squeeze in a workout give it a try, perhaps just a walk in the evening when it has cooled down a bit, something to stretch the legs, and maybe get the heart rate up.

Also are you getting the results you want?  Still losing or maintaining your weight loss?  What is your goal.  If  you are achieving what you want, then I would say it's enough.  

For me, if I was questioning if I was doing enough, then my answer would be no.  If I think I can do more, then I probably can.  I just need to get motivated to do it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/09 11:58 am
Wow, Scott!  Thank you for your reply.  I guess I never thought of it like that before.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out ways to squeeze in more time for myself.  With a shift work type job, two kids (3 and 11) and a house/yard to keep, sometimes there's more work than there are hours in a day.  I'm hoping that once winter rolls around (meaning less yard work), I'll have a smidge more time to really get into me.  Somehow, I keep thinking that just going for a walk isn't "exercise".  You're right, though, it's way better than sitting on the couch!  I was thinking about doing the couch to 5k program.  What do you think about that program?  Is it a good start or is there a better program out there?

Wendy
Seht
on 9/16/09 2:20 pm
I did the couch 2 5k program and absolutlely loved it.
I think the most important part of that is:
They say if you can't do this weeks work, go ahead and do last week again.  It isn't a race to get to the end.  Heck do the week 3 times if you have to.  There is nothing saying you have to fini**** on their schedule.  Keep doing it until you feel like you can challenge yourself.

I have done it a couple times actually.  Each time I did the program, I tried to do it a little bit faster.
So instead of starting week 1 walking at 3 mph, I did week 1 at 4 mph or I added some incline to the treadmill that kind of thing.  I think it is a very forgiving and user friendly program.

Go for it!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 9/19/09 9:45 am - Northern, CA
The Couch to 5k program is the reason I"m a triathlete today! I could never run before I started that program and it's the only running program that has worked for me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

thinman
on 9/19/09 7:03 am
 truckdrivinmomma you're right to be in doubt, but take a look at www.howcelebritiesloseweight.com and find some simple tips on how to stay fit without much effort ;)
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/09 3:27 am
I don't recall being "in doubt".  I believe it takes effort to get to where I want to be health wise.  The biggest reason I got fat in the first place was because I didn't put out the effort.  Thanks, though.
Most Active