Seattle Rock 'n Roll half marathon

Pam M.
on 9/15/09 4:52 am, edited 9/15/09 4:52 am - WA
I've never been a runner, even though I have done some running with my personal training. I had my RNY in May of 2009. The Seattle Rock 'n Roll marathon is in June of 2010, nearly 9 months away. I joked with my trainer about doing a marathon, and she told me to sign up for the Seattle Rock 'n Roll 1/2 marathon, and she would train me for it.

For those who are runners, will I be ready in 9 months time? Thanks.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/15/09 5:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
Whether you think you will be ready or not, you are right....I ran a FULL 26.2 marathon on my 11 month surgery anniversary, so heck ya you can do it!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 9/15/09 7:46 am
I say that you absolutely can do it.  I did a full on my 13 month anniversary.  Here is my caution, however.  You are going to need more carbs for the energy to run than most post op plans suggest.  If I had it to do again, I would have held off on the marathon until my positive habbits were more cemented in place.  Stuff like more protein and not drinking after meals are the ones that come to mind.  This would have been more of a help long term.  I eat too many carbs and other crap now and I would attribute some of it to early marathon training. 

A half is a good start though and does not require as much diet altering as the full.  Good luck.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
LoveLikeWinter
on 9/16/09 12:42 am

See, the one for Sept 2010 that I’m looking at would be about 15.5 mos post op for me, and I’d REALLY love to do it. I AM concerned about the carb cycling/loading and all that, because I have no idea what it would do to my loss.

Even  though I was (and am) overweight, I always liked being active so I have a decent muscle base and I’m getting my muscle memory back, so I’m wondering if I could do it, but I just don’t want to take on too much.

_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
Cassie W.
on 9/15/09 8:10 am
Pam,  if you set the goal and follow the plan to get you there, you will be ready for your half marathon.  Take the time to build up your base miles so you avoid the risk of injury and get yourself a good pair of running shoes.

Best of luck to you.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

LoveLikeWinter
on 9/16/09 12:39 am

I hope it’s enough time, because I’m looking at doing a half marathon next year, too (actually 3 of them). The first one I’m hoping to be ready for is May 29, 2010, so about 8.5 months away. Another one is in Sept 2010 and one is in Oct 2010, so it gives me 12 and 13 months to get ready for those two. I’d love to do the full marathon for the one in Sept, but I don’t think I could be ready for that in time (could I?) The one in Oct is the Detroit Free Press marathon and it’s a pretty serious one, and I’m too scared/intimidated at the thought of doing that one.

But we can compare notes since we’ll be looking at doing the 13.1 around the same time! :)

_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
Hawgman
on 9/16/09 3:07 am - TX
Best action plan is to sign up as soon as possible.  That will give you a goal to shoot at.
I ran my first 1/2 five months after surgery.  It was awesome!!
Do everything that has mentioned here, base miles, etc. and I would add start doing some 5ks and 10ks.  They are so much fun they will become habit forming for you.

Good luck!
abgisme
on 9/19/09 9:33 am
I did my first 1/2 (Chicago Rock'n'Roll) eleven months after surgery.  My husband did it with me, and we had a great time!  I hadn't even started exercising at 9 months prior to the race.

We completed the USAirForce 1/2 marathon this morning!

Ashley
Pam M.
on 9/19/09 3:39 pm - WA
Thank you all for your input! My trainer is on vacation, she returns tomorrow. I'm going to let her know I plan on signing up, so we can come up with a training plan. I was going to sign up this week, but the sign up asks you to estimate your finish time so that they can place you in the correct corral for starting. I'm thinking I should put the max. 4 hours, since it would be my first marathon, but I want to ask the advice of my trainer on what I should put.

Tomorrow morning I am going to my Spinning class.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Most Active