One week away from my first 24 hour race

Chris S.
on 9/13/09 11:46 am - SC
This upcoming Saturday I am doing the Hinson Lake 24 hour classic

http://www.hinsonlake24hour.com/

Its a good introduction into ultra's. Its kind of a homegrown type of race. Its $24 to join, 1.6 mile loops around a lake, the RD's family is the volunteers and they grill out and fully support it. No shirt, no medal, just 150 runners out for a 24 hour run.

My goal is to break 50 miles, which I feel confident about. If I can break 70, I'll be incredibly happy with myself.

The hardest part will be the eating and run/walking at the same time. Everything I have read says you have to eat or you will die out in the end...we'll see.

Any Ironmen out there got any tips for nutrition while racing and after gastric bypass. I really don't want to dump while running

And OH YEAH---I got into the Ulmstead 100 next March!!! The 250 slots filled up in 5 minutes and I got in!!!!!

Chris

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.....John Bingham aka The Penguin

Seht
on 9/13/09 12:35 pm
You can't replace what you use, and that goes for both water and food.  Don't try.
200-300 calories per hours. 

Here is a snippet from an article from Hammer Nutrition. 
Just realize that they are pushing some of their product here in the article as well.  So if you can get past that and take in the general data it's pretty good.

However I do like their apple cinamon gels.  For me they are the best tasting of the ones I have tried so far.  But I"m sure that is just like protien drinks, each person is going to like something different.

Fueling variability among athletes

Over the course of two decades, we've had the opportunity to observe the fueling habits (consumption of fluids, calories, and electrolytes) of thousands of athletes. Needless to say, these fueling protocols have varied tremendously. Here are some of the variations we have observed:

ELECTROLYTES: The female winner of a past Leadville 100 mile ultramarathon won the event by over an hour (beating most of the men as well) consuming merely one Endurolytes capsule per hour. Her electrolyte profile (done via blood labs) taken before the event was remarkably the same after the event. At the other end of the scale, one triathlete client of ours regularly consumes up to eight Endurolytes per hour in his iron distance triathlons. At six Endurolytes per hour, which is an upper-end dose for most athletes, he cramps or has gastric upset.

FLUIDS: Fluid intake with the athletes we've observed ranges from 12-40 fluid ounces per hour.

CALORIES: Calorie intake also varies considerably, with intakes ranging from 200-700 calories per hour.

With that in mind, of the athletes who have contacted us to report success (no fuel-related, performance-inhibiting problems and consistent energy levels), the following data occur with reliable consistency:

• Fluid intake was under 30 fluid ounces/hour.
  • Electrolyte intake was between 3-6 capsules/hr, with 4 capsules/hr being the most often reported dose.
  • Energy intake was at 300 cal/hr or less.
  • Body weight at finish decreased about 2-3%.

Athletes who suffered poor performance due to fueling-related problems reported consumption as follows:

• Fluid intake was almost always over 30 fluid ounces/hour.
  • Body weight at finish was hyper-hydrated with weight gain from 1-2%, or dehydrated at over 3% body weight loss.
  • These athletes consumed excess calories, >300 cal/hr, primarily from simple sugared-based fuels, causing stomach shutdown.
  • These athletes had high sodium diets. Those who consume that type of diet are predisposed to higher sodium intake during an event than the low sodium purist.
  • Ultra distance athletes who suffered cramps, sour stomach, malaise, and/or hyponatremia in the last half of their event often did not train adequately at race-level fluid/fuel/electrolyte dosing, or the athlete used a different fueling protocol than in training. Athletes need to not only train appropriately leading up to their race, they also must test, evaluate, and fine-tune their fueling plan in training prior to using it in a race.

What you should derive from all of this is that while there is no one size fits all fueling formula, there are some good guidelines in terms of what has been shown to be successful for athletes and also consistent observations (read: fueling errors) noted from athletes who had unsuccessful races.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Chris S.
on 9/13/09 2:53 pm - SC

Thanks for posting this. Ya know I was so into just getting ready for the race-I never thought for races like this I needed a "fueling plan". I might try the Endurolytes capsules this week-before the race of course, to see if they upset me or not.

The only thing I always do is take 2 advils around mile 13 of a marathon. I know hydrating will be important this weekend too.

Again-thanks for this information

Chris

Rob S.
on 9/13/09 9:39 pm - DE
Good luck, Chris.  That is an awesome event.  No advice from this guy, except have fun with it and don't beat up your body too bad.
Rob
Chris S.
on 9/14/09 5:40 am - SC
Thank you Rob

Ya know, Wilmington is probably only 8 hours away from Rockingham NC
DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/13/09 10:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Chris,

Sounds like an awesome race. I recommend taking some "Boost" high protein drink to help with fueling... I think they have 12-15G of protein, taste pretty dang good, and will be very helpful for you. Also, as the above article mentions, stay away from taking in just sugar-based fuels, I love a Cliff bar every other hour (Chocolate Brownie rocks!!!) They have about 300 Cals, 300mg+ of potasium, a little sodium, and taste friggin awesome. You should have your nutrition in check, and tested long before the event, so at this point, I wouldn't recommend changing anything, just go with what has been working for you....Look forward to hearing how the race goes...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Chris S.
on 9/14/09 6:01 am - SC
Thanks Dan

I will try those Cliff Bars-I do love them but never thought of those. I like Snicker Marathon bars but those are more for the sugar kick not the protein

I will try the Boost on a run this week to see if I can stomach it while running. I have fallen in love with Muscle Milk Light-25G protein and some sugars..

Chris S.
on 9/17/09 5:41 am - SC
DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chocolate Brownie Clif BAr is AWESOME!!!!

Its hearty, and I feel like I am refueling when I eat one...

Thanks!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/17/09 5:58 am - Fort Worth, TX
Yeah bro.... they taste soooo good when you are out pounding it out on the course. Best of luck out there boss. Make sure you chew em up good so they dont sit in your gut like mortar, and flush with a little water and you will be money!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 9/14/09 5:10 am
I was thinking about this post this morning on my run.  Mostly I was thinking about how much I hate you because I want in!!!   :)

I think that the 50 is something nice to put in the back of your head but barring injury, you will be much closer to the 70.  I truely believe that. 

There is a 24 hr race around a lake in NH and you may have just inspired me to do it.

Best of luck to you!!!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active