Band and Eating for Endurance Training Question

dabrownx2
on 9/12/09 7:24 am
I tried peanut butter toast midday before running - 1st time for PB and it didn't hang up (yea!). I also had a good workout, no fatigue.  Maybe I've crossed a bridge.....
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I'll be sure to post the RDs suggestions.
Thanks,
DeAnna

MacMadame
on 9/14/09 2:35 am - Northern, CA
I did most of my training for my first triathlon on 750-900 calories a day. I don't think it's necessarily the total amount that matters so much as the quality of what you eat. As my workouts increased, my surgeon had me increase my protein and that gave them the energy I needed.

I started out around 80 g per day and 750 calories, went up to 100 g and 900 calories, and ended up at 120 g and 1200 calories.

I did eat something carby within an hour of starting a workout and then something with carbs and protein immediately afterwards. Sometimes I'd have a protein shake and drink half before and half after. Sometimes I'd have fruit before and cheese sticks after. I also makes these muffins with protein powder in them and they have a 3:1 carb to protein ratio so that makes them good for an after workout snack.

Right now I eat about 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight. There are two ways to do that when you can't eat more than 1/2 a cup of food at a time. One is to eat calorie dense foods and the other is to eat a lot.

I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. This doesn't count most of the food I eat as part of my working out, either. I don't consider that eating. I think of it as "fueling". Another trick is to make my lunch fairly big and eat it in two stages.

I also eat things like protein bars, PB & J on whole wheat bagels, and nuts as my snacks rather than cottage cheese and yogurt. Well, I do eat cottage cheese and yogurt too but they have so few calories that I am often hungry again fairly soon after. So I may pair them with something else to make the snack more substantial.

If I don't do these things, I lose too much weight because I'm not getting in the calories I need to.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active