Foot Pain!

siannamay
on 9/9/09 2:55 am - Waltham, MA
Hey everyone,

First time poster in this forum... I am wondering about some pressure sores i have developed as well as blisters on my feet from all the walking I've been doing. 

Will these eventually go away or just get worse? last week I walked a little over 30 miles.  I went to a specialty store and purchased running shoes.  The employee watched me walk and told me what shoe would be best for me so I don't think it's the shoes that are causing this...It's probably all of the weight I'm carrying around....

If anyone has some insight, i would appreciate it.   I really don't want to stop the walking.  I feel like the sores might go away but will just come back once i start walking again.  I'm hoping to just walk thru the pain and possibly they will go away.

Thanks so much
S

"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone."
  -Robert Hunter

Linn D.
on 9/9/09 9:51 am - Missoula, MT
It's probably not the weight.  Did you do the 30 miles AFTER buying the shoes? If so, do take them back.  If you had the sores THEN bought the shoes, I'd let the sores heal then try it again.  Pressure sores and blisters are usually from shoes that don't fit right.  If you have the correct type, you may need to try a different brand.  I love Brooks and Asics on my feet, but Mizunos are a little tight in the toe box.

It could be a shoe/sock combination that doesn't work also.  Try some double-layer socks such as Wright Socks.

DON'T walk through the pain - so not healthy.  Better to let them heal first and go from there.  

Linn
siannamay
on 9/9/09 9:32 pm - Waltham, MA
Hi LInn,

Thanks for the post... I had a pressure sore on the left side first.. Then I went to the specialty store and bought a pair of Brooks that feel great.  The problem is I developed the pressure sores on my right heel after that.  I bought new socks too,  they aren't cotton so there good at absorbing any moisture.  I can tell a big difference with the new shoes I'm wearing however I'm still in pain.  maybe i will give it a rest for a while.. It's just discouraging.

Thanks,
Susan

-Robert Hunter

panhead58fl
on 9/9/09 2:43 pm - Barboursville, WV
I agree with Linn, sounds like your shoes are not fitting correctly. Also, I am wondering if you have built up to the 30 miles gradually?  I would try cutting the mileage down and let your feet heal. 

One thing I noticed and still have problems with is I guess I lost the padding on my feet. Now I can't walk on any hard surface without shoes on or my feet hurt something awful. I even had to buy new slippers because the old ones didn't have enough padding.

When you bought you shoes did you tell them they were for running or walking. Most of the time you can walk in good running shoes but, I do have one pair that are comfortable to run in but are not so great walking shoes.

pan head
siannamay
on 9/9/09 9:34 pm - Waltham, MA
Hey,

Thanks for the reply..... I probably didnt do the smartest thing with walking 5 miles a day.  I'm a few days over two months out.  I've been doing the 5 mile thing for two weeks now.  before that it was three a day and before that it was two.  I'm joining the gym next friday.  Maybe I should try some different type of excercise.

Thanks,
S

-Robert Hunter

Most Active