Training for Half Marathon March 2010

sellers78
on 9/7/09 2:58 pm - McDonough, GA

Had VSG February of 09 and am in the process of training for Half Marathon, looking for suggestions on keeping hydrated during the run and what training methods people have used! I am having issues with running and drinking water during the run, seems to mess up my breathing pattern. I have run a 5K and am going to run another in a couple of weeks! Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you in advance!!

Jennifer

Seht
on 9/7/09 3:13 pm
Couple options on drinking.
practice practice practice.  I know I can't run and drink or walk and chew bubblegum so I sympathize with you on this one.

The other option is to drink when you hit the aid stations.  They are usually spaced every couple miles or so.  I have seen them as close as each mile and spaced further than that as well.
If  you get lucky with every mile, then for me, that works out just right.  I try to take a few ounces every 10 minutes or so.  I'm still experimenting, but that seems to be o.k. so far.

Congrats on your decision to run the 1/2 marathon, and good luck on the upcoming 5k

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/8/09 1:06 am - Fort Worth, TX
What Scott said....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 9/8/09 5:05 am - Northern, CA
When I ran my first 5k, I choked on the water trying to run and drink at the same time. Now I can do it though. It just takes practice.

I have these squirt bottles on a belt and they are pretty easy to drink from. I usually put a sports drink in them.

When I'm on a course with the paper cups, I squeeze the cup flat and hold it in my fingers like a V. So then I'm drinking between my fingers and it's like a little spout.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

sellers78
on 9/8/09 1:42 pm, edited 9/8/09 1:42 pm - McDonough, GA
Thank you for your responses, guessing it will just get better in time!! I thought about trying a camel back, have any of you tried one of those?
MacMadame
on 9/8/09 2:31 pm - Northern, CA
I just got one but for biking. I haven't used it yet.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

levittown_loser
on 9/9/09 8:53 am - Levittown, PA
Training for a half or full your going to need a hydration belt.   I use the Amphipod RunLite 4 because it's so adjustable.  You can take bottles off. Turn them sideways.   Add more.  Change bottle sizes.

http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html

You will also need to start thinking about sports nutrition (Sport Beans or Gu Gel etc.) and Electrolye replacement.   You can look back on older threads here for more information or post up a new thread with your questions.

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

sellers78
on 9/9/09 11:47 am - McDonough, GA
Thanks! That is pretty neat!!! I will have to check it out!
PplAmanda
on 9/9/09 11:29 am - Benton, AR
Check out www.littlerockmarathon.com for free training info. I am currently training for the half in March also. We are doing a buildup training at the moment, and the full on training starts in October. Good luck!
sellers78
on 9/9/09 11:50 am - McDonough, GA
Thank you!! Some great inforrmation!!
Most Active