Moved my First Ironman up to 2010

Darrell H.
on 9/6/09 12:21 pm, edited 9/6/09 11:08 pm - Sinton, TX
Well I turned 39 on Friday. I had been thinking about it for a while, but as i lay there in bed at about 4:30 Friday morning, I finally made my decision. In 2 months I am going to register for the 2010 Ironman Florida. This will definately be my "A" race. I will participate in a few sprints, 2 olympics, and 2 70.3 Ironman in preparation for this race. Below is an excerpt from my blog which can be accessed at my web site www.tridaringgreatly.com

I turned 39 years old on Friday. It was a good day. I spent the evening coaching at the King football game vs. Moody. We won that game pretty handily. I believe 47-14. Great job Mustangs keep it up.

I woke up early that morning, around 4:30 even though I wanted to sleep in for my birthday. I made the biggest decision of my athletic life. I am going to become an IRONMAN a year earlier than I originally planned. I will participate in the 2010 Ironman Florida in November 2010 in Panama City Florida. To some of you, this might not be big news, but to me, it is the most important decision I have made to date concerning my new life of health and fitness. It will be the most difficult thing I have ever done both physically and mentally. It will take a toll on my body, mind, and soul as well as a big toll on my family. I will need their support as I will be training up to 20 hours a week. Most of this will take place while I am working.

People ask me why I want to become an Ironman and why it is so important to me. Yes I do want to become an Ironman, but it is more than that. I HAVE to become an Ironman. I have to become an Ironman to prove primarily to myself that I can do ANYTHING that I set my mind to. I also HAVE to become an Ironman to show all of those people that doubt their own abilities and feel that they have to settle for the way things have always been. I want to be that hope, even if it is the slightest glimpse of hope that they too can do anything. I owe it to society to do WHATEVER I can to STOP this horrible epidemic called obesity!

Keep Daring Greatly!

Darrell
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Duane1064
on 9/6/09 2:47 pm - Bloomington, IN
 Awesome Darrell, Congrats. and good luck on this goal.  You train hard and you believe in what you're doing.  You'll do great.

Duane 

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
MacMadame
on 9/7/09 1:36 am - Northern, CA
Good luck!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Cassie W.
on 9/7/09 2:31 am
Darrell,

Happy Birthday and bravo for embracing this compulsion to set an example for yourself and others.   The journey will be long and arduous, but you are certainly up to the task!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

DANCBJAMMIN
on 9/7/09 4:15 am - Fort Worth, TX
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 9/7/09 5:23 am - Dacula, GA
I should be there to cheer you on!
Hawgman
on 9/7/09 6:19 am - TX
Way to go Darrell!!!

The committment is the key.
I think you voiced eloquently what most of us on this board feel.  We don't want to do the things we do, we have to.
I WILL run that marathon in December and I WILL DO MORE THAN JUST ONE!!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Your other brother,

Darrell
mcarthur01
on 9/8/09 2:27 am - Cumming, GA
awesome news Darrell, best of luck in your training, i know you'll do great, you have the right mind-set and committment for the task!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

kypdurran
on 9/11/09 3:58 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Awesome Darrell!  

Registration never made it online last year so plan on going to volunteer at this year's race so you can register the morning after the race.  

Most Active