When to exercise (yoga and pilates)?

robin2p
on 9/3/09 3:13 am, edited 9/4/09 2:39 am

Hello All,
I saw my doctor for my first fill at about 6 weeks. When I asked him how long till I could do Yoga and Pilate's he said about 6-8 weeks. I was at 6 weeks and he said my port was still very swollen.
I saw my primary a week later and asked him, he said at least 8 weeks.
It will be 8 weeks on September 11th. They both said sex was okay, but nothing specific as to what type of exercise besides walking. I have CFS & Fibromyalgia, so walking is out of the question.

How long have other people waited? Is anyone else doing yoga or Pilate's?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

MacMadame
on 9/3/09 9:03 am - Northern, CA
I was able to do cardio much sooner than that. But Pilates really stresses your core and I wasn't able to do that until about 2 months out.

I was doing the stationary bike at the gym at two weeks. Can you do that?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

robin2p
on 9/4/09 12:32 am, edited 9/4/09 12:32 am
***laughing*** I'm sure I could do a stationary bike, but I don't own one and can't drive.
Well, it will be two months next week. I'll start with yoga and then the Pilate's. I have a Pilate's reformer, so I should be able to control how much strain it puts on my core.

Wow, 20lbs to your goal weight. That's fantastic.

MacMadame
on 9/4/09 2:37 am - Northern, CA
Oh, we have those machines at my gym. They look EVIL.

I don't use the stationary bike any more. I just ride my real back out in the real outdoors. I've turned into a real outdoors person these days and do hardly any exercises in the gym.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

robin2p
on 9/4/09 2:43 am, edited 9/4/09 9:40 am
The "machine" is really wonderful once you learn how to use it. It's a lot harder to do things wrong.

I am so glad to hear you are out and riding your bike. Exercising in the gym starts to feel like work.
I don't think I can even ride a bike anymore. It took me 13 years to learn how, and my balance is terrible. Hence the no driving.

Nature offers it's own rewards, it's so relaxing.

MSW will not settle
on 9/4/09 9:31 am
My surgeon is a real move your ass kind of guy. There was never any restriction on light yoga and I was given stretches to do while still in the hospital.

I was  back in the gym in about ten days for half an hour on the stationary bike and half hour with weights of 10 lbs or less.  Within two weeks I resumed pilates.  Everything was at my own pace, no classes.

I have ms, chronic pain, and fatigue.  Walking outdoors is not an option for me but there were no problems exercising indoors early post op.

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

robin2p
on 9/4/09 9:39 am
He sounds like my kind of guy. You sound like you are doing amazing. Were you as active before the surgery?

Thanks, I feel like if you can do it, I can do it, Or at least try.

Most Active