triathlon transition tips

on 9/4/09 12:12 am - National City, MI
Does anybody have any tips for improving transition time from swim to bike? I always seem to have trouble with this. Seems like no matter what I do, it takes me 3+ minutes when everyone else is 1:30.
Thanks,
Eric
Seht
on 9/4/09 1:28 am
start peeling off your gear as soon as you can stand up in the water.
I wear my tri gear under the wetsuit so there is no clothes changing.
Sunglasses are open and ready to go inside the helmet.  So glasses go on, helmet goes on.
Not riding with any cycling gloves for short distance races.
Not using socks in my cycling shoes either.  I just put a good dose of talc-powder inside the shoes and make sure they are coated well.  This part I am still experimenting with.  It seems to keep the feet dry enough, because I hate that sweaty foot inside the shoe feeling, but the powder did the trick.  I have also used some body glide to reduce the friction of getting the wetsuit off and the shoes on.
Some people will start with their shoes already clipped onto their pedals and hop on like that.  Pedaling with their feet out of and on top of the shoes.  Then slip their feet into the shoes as they ride..

There are a ton of videos on youtube, here are a few links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHcsqKM_mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWHELY0qxw&feature=related

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

on 9/4/09 2:46 am - National City, MI
Thanks for the info.

My biggest problem is that I wear my running shoes on the bike so I try to put socks on after the swim and it's a real time-eater. I've thought about going sockless but I worry about blisters. I heard somewhere that you can line the inside of your sock with Vaseline to help it go on. Have you ever heard of somebody doing that? I wonder if it works.
MacMadame
on 9/4/09 3:03 am - Northern, CA
I put baby powder in my socks and roll them down so they are easy to slip on. Before I put the baby powder in, I would struggle to get the socks on.

I also changed from Body Glide to TriSlide and I find it works MUCH better for me when it comes to getting my wetsuit off.

I tried running without socks and got blisters both times.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 9/4/09 4:18 am
what are you using for running socks.
I use the little tiny sock that barely cover you feet.
They are so small it's not like trying to pull on some of those 1970's gym socks that go up to your knees.  I powder both the shoe and the socks.

I also lay out a towel to step on and I had one of the shamwow things sitting on the bike seat.  Just a quick swipe the get the road gravel off the foot. 
Luckily the last race I did had a nice grassy area to run through to get to t1 so I just drug my feet a couple times, and they were dry and free of any grime.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active