Heart rate monitor

imkim
on 8/27/09 6:03 am - Chatsworth, CA
Hi everyone!!

I am starting an exercise program that includes running. Someday I want to run a 5K. I want to be able to monitor my heart rate when working out. Is a monitor helpful? If so, what kind do you suggest? I know different people like different things but I am looking to see what is out there. Another question, is it better to have one with a strap or without.

Thanks for your help!! I have been reading this board for a few weeks and you all have gotten me excited about running. Never thought it was possible!!

Kim

This includes my pre-surgery weight

Waterwench
on 8/27/09 6:30 am - portland, OR
Hi, Kim--Welcome to the board! I have never used an automatic heart rate monitor--I just have a watch, and feel my pulse when I am stopped waiting for a light to change or something. But I know that Nike makes fancy shoes that have a place for a microchip that can record distance, heart rate, calories burned, that you can hear through your iPod. Wow! Talk about sci-fi becoming a reality!

I did the beginner's 8 week program on Runner's Planet.com, designed to follow the walk/run system, and be able to run 2 miles without stopping by the end of 8 weeks. It is a good, gradual way to go. I know a lot of people also use the Couch to 5k program, just look it up on google.com and it will pop up. Once I did the two miles, I started gradually adding 10% more distance every week. BE SURE TO DO FULL STRETCHES both before and after your workout, Kim. It will save you injuries and aches'n'pains! That, and a good pair of shoes will see you on your way!
imkim
on 8/28/09 1:44 am - Chatsworth, CA
Waterwench,
Thanks for the info. I will look into both methods. I checked out your blog. You have really come a long way in a short time!! Congrats.

Kim

Seht
on 8/27/09 7:27 am
There are several brands of heart rate monitors out there.
Garmin,
Timex,
Nike,
Polar,

Costco runs specials all the time, and you can often find them on ebay.  The more bells and whistles, the more they cost obviously.  Within each manufacturer you will find a couple different models to choose from.

All of them are reputable, so a lot of it will come down to the bells and whistles you want.
I have a Garmin, it has GPS built into it so it will track speed and pace as well.  It has a virtual training partner so you can race against yourself.  It will display on the wat*****omparison to what you did last time and show you if you are ahead or behind.  You can do the same thing for any workout.  Tell it you want to run a 10 minute mile race and it will show you where you are in comparison to the 10 minute runner, how far ahead or behind.

It also has attachments for the bike, I can track the speed of my bike as well as the cadence I am pedaling at.

Good luck with your choice.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 8/27/09 9:28 am - Port Huron, MI
 Scott's talking about the Garmin Forerunner 305 and I agree with him.  It's a GREAT tool.  Last christmas they dropped the price down to $150 (and I think it's still in that ballpark) but very, very worth it.  I started with a $70 Polar (good monitor) but really love the GPS capabilities and the ease of computer downloading of the data.
If you're looking to do 5k's and potentially run outside you'll enjoy having it.

Duane1064
on 8/27/09 9:32 am - Bloomington, IN
 I want one of the Garmin's for my birthday in October or maybe Santa will get me one for Christmas.  Is the Forerunner the one to get?

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 8/27/09 2:10 pm
They just came out with the 310 model of the forerunner.  It's waterproof.

So you can use it for all 3 stages of a triathlon.  woo hoo.  but being the new model on the market it expensive.

I love the 305, I'm still learning all the features it has.

I would buy one again.  The only downside is it is a bit big, kind of klunky.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 8/27/09 5:48 pm - Northern, CA
Just make sure it has a heart rate strap. The kind you put your finger on are not as accurate.

I have the Reebok Precision and I hate it. It's so hard to use!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

imkim
on 8/28/09 1:49 am - Chatsworth, CA
Thanks for all the replies!! This sure gives me somewhere to start. I will look at the Garmin. I like the idea of it being waterproof. I have added swimming to my workouts and have no idea where my body is.

Again, thanks. I have gotten alot of info and inspiration from all of you.

Kim

Most Active