Pre-op and I wanna be a powerhouse...how do I do it?

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/09 2:25 pm - Bellmawr, NJ
I have just 5 days left until my DS surgery. I am SMO with type 2 diabetes and midly high blood pressure.  Im 38 years old.

I have been going to the gym, though I will admit not with extreme regularity, for 2 years. When I was going regularly I was getting a lot stronger.  I do water aerobics, water yoga, water strength training.  Considering I am over 500lbs, I think I kick butt...Im pretty strong for my size.

Anyway, that being said....my dream after surgery isn't just to lose weight...I want to be a powerhouse. I want to do all the hardcore physical stuff I have always wanted to do...crazy intense yoga, I want to lift weights, swim distances, play basketball, kickbox....RAWR!!!

But I know I have to work up to all this.

Any advice for how long after surgery I will be able to get back into the gym and where to start to be the strong, powerful, nimble, flexible, atheletic Amazon I long to be?  What would be the best things to start with? (btw I hate running and though I know I will have to walk as an exercise in the very beginning, I HATE walking as an exercise its so booooooring...I only like to walk for utilitarian purposes...to go somewhere).

MacMadame
on 8/25/09 4:00 pm - Northern, CA
Well, your surgeon is going to have his thoughts. So will the cardiologist who does your stress test (assuming you have one).

My surgeon is big on exercising right away and the cardiologist said I was made to exercise. So I went back to the gym at 2 weeks and started running at 1 month. I just didn't do anything to stress my core until about 2 months out. (I tried earlier and )

But some surgeons tell people to wait until 6 weeks to do anything but walking. That would have driven me insane, frankly!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/09 10:48 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I don't have a cardiologist. I had a cardiologist assessment about 3 years ago for another surgery and he said I was amazingly healthy...more healthy than I should be at my size. Very comforting, thanks pal :)

My surgeon didn't send me to one this time, just a pulmonologist who cleared me.
ksmidnite
on 8/25/09 8:09 pm - centereach, NY
Lynda I went to the gym 2 months after, doctor said wait a little. I know walking can be boring but I put my IPOD on and it went by fast. Walking was the best thing for me. You have to talk to your doctor about what they feel is best for you. Everyone is different. You may be able to get up and about sooner. i also had RNY and I know you are having the switch. God Bless you.

Karyn

Vampi
on 8/25/09 10:05 pm - Mandeville, LA
I am not an expert by any means, but I think we share similar dreams!  I want to do a triathlon one day (shhhhh don't tell anybody)!  

I started with walking.  It is SO SO SO boring on the treadmill though!! I would rather stick my eye out with a pencil than walk a couple miles on the treadmill.  Anywho, my neighbor had been bothering me to go walking with her (outside!) and after my surgery I finally agreed because I knew I had to so something!  We walked for a long time and one day started jogging a teeny tiny bit... like 20 feet and was completely out of breath!  But I kept doing it. 

A year later I have done five 5ks, I am doing a 10k on in October and will be doing the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Feb 2010.  So, my advice on the walking is to find someone you really enjoy walking with and FORCE them to do it with you.  LOL

Get outside and exercise.  We do most of our stuff late at night because we are both moms and don't have any other time.  I was so embarrassed at first about being fat and exercising outside so the cover of darkness helped with that. 

I finally signed up for a gym membership too and I am trying all kinds of new things.   I think that you have a fabulous attitude and that you will be successful!  Take it slow at first though in whatever you do. 

I would like to recommend "No Need for Speed" by John 'the Penguin' Bingham.  He is great , funny, and makes me feel okay about that fact that I am slow!  You should look at his website too. 

Good luck !

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/09 10:53 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I'll check it out...thanks :) 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/25/09 11:22 pm, edited 8/25/09 11:27 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Swimming for distance is for nut jobs...

Swimming for distance is for the birds...

So are Triathlons...

There is nothing stopping you from achieving your goals. Have a great surgery, let your body recover fully, then make excercise part of your life and start slow and progress conservatively to avoid injury after your Doc has cleared you for excercise. Take care and best of luck...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/09 10:49 am - Bellmawr, NJ
Show off ;)

Well, Ive read your story and it is inspirational though :)
Waterwench
on 8/26/09 10:20 am - portland, OR
Wow, Lynda--I like your positive attitude!! I know walking and running can be boring on the treadmill, but that's why I love my tunes! Whether it's an IPOD or Zune or tinny piece o'crap from Indonesia, MP3 players are fairly inexpensive and a must for me to stay motivated.

I have about 5 different playlists I have downloaded and mixed from my CD collection--depending on my mood: Sexy Icon Playlist, Flower Power Beat, Irish Trad (very fast-paced jigs and reels--awesome to run to!), New Downloads, Rockin' Beat. Most of them are up-tempo and really keep me distracted from my body when I am exercising. I love it! It keeps me from dwelling on the minutes as I get into the beat of the music.

I also have used MapMyRun.com as a way to map out the distances on my runs. It will work for your walks as well. The changing scenery is a HUGE improvement over the treadmill.

As the weight starts to come off, you may be surprised by a changing attitude to running and walking. When I was almost 300, I never thought I would want to run. I HATED running, and had constant foot pain, so I HATED walking, too! Now I'm 148 and I feel so good and strong when I run, I can't get over it! The main thing is that you are doing so much to take charge of your health, and I know you will succeed! Keep up the good work, Lynda!
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/09 10:52 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I dunno...I think running would be a pretty hard sell for me.  I love the feeling of moving my body in fluid ways....water stuff, yoga stuff, tai chi, dancing....I can imagine liking other fluid like stuff like MMA or even boxing...and biking would be fun.  But walking and running seem so repetitive and boring to me...I know some people love it and more power to them...but for me I have the desire for a challenge, but a challenge that doesnt involve going from point A to point B primarily.

But yes, I will work on my Ipod for these purposes :) 
Most Active