Suggestions on hotel room exercises

Lauren M.
on 8/24/09 12:21 pm
Hey all. I just got a new job where I will be driving a lot and spending time in hotels...and not all super nice hotels with work out rooms and pools. I will be traveling all over the state of ND. I am looking for suggestions of ways to exercise in my hotel room with free weights and stuff. I thought about buying a pair of 10 lb free weights to use in my hotel room when I get a chance. I will of course go outside for walks as long as weather permits. I am looking for a website or something that would show me how to lift to tone different muscles in my body. I am new to the whole exercise thing so any help/suggestions are more than welcome!
Thanks,
Lauren

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Duane1064
on 8/24/09 8:42 pm - Bloomington, IN
You could pack some of the Therabands and use them for resistance exercises.  There's always push-ups and sit-ups.  You could use a chair to do tricep dips.  Maybe take along some yoga dvd's and play them on a lap top.  Use the stairs to get some exercise.  Most hotels are big enough that you can do laps just by walking the halls and use the stairs to go from floor to floor.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Waterwench
on 8/25/09 1:16 am - portland, OR
Way to go for adding exercise to your regime! Eventually, after walking a while, you might want to try the "Couch to 5k" running program for beginners at Cool Running.com. Running really ramps up the calorie expenditure and gives a great cardio workout. I always hated running, but about 3 months ago started with the walk/run method. I am amazed at how good I feel!

Free weights are a great idea! I have seen some weight toning exercises on Runners Planet.com, and I bet you could go to any search engine and type "free weight exercises" and have some useful routines pop up.
thorr159
on 8/25/09 3:52 am
Get an 11 pound or the 16 pound Bulgarian training bag. Should be light enough and easy to take on trips if you are in a car and not all that bad to haul around if you have to fly. Plenty of workouts you can do with one. Just type "bulgarian training bag" into google video search for workouts.
BigCityGirl
on 8/25/09 5:19 am - San Diego, CA
Call me crazy, but when I'm overseas in hotels 16 weeks a year, I do the stairwells.  Yep, up and down the stairs.  I also do a variety of exercises in my room like crunches, push ups, dips on the chair, leg lifts and even running in place.  My iPod is my constant companion during these times.

Good luck with the new job.

Donna
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Most Active